bug? can't insert citation when both Standalone and Firefox are open

Hi,

I think this might be a small bug. When I try to insert a citation in Word 2010 and both Standalone and Firefox are open (in Firefox, Zotero is minimized/closed), I get no response. In fact, all of the Zotero Add-In commands don't respond. No error message, just a short pause, as if something is waiting to happen.

I'm easily working around it for now by keeping Standalone closed (I could also use Chrome instead of FF), but I thought I'd mention it.

Btw, this might be a feature request, or it might be a style question. I'd love a way to suppress parentheses for in-text citations, or even make them non-default, rather than always going to the editor and knowing that that citation won't be updated if I change the style etc. I'm happy to post this elsewhere if that's more appropriate.

Thanks!
  • what exactly is the use case for suppressing parentheses?
    And are you using the 3.0b version of Zotero for FF?
  • Thanks. Yes, I'm using 3.0b2 for FF.

On suppressing parentheses: it might be my style of writing, but I often separate out or group citation sources within the parentheses. E.g., I might cite directly from one source, and then have a semi-colon followed by "see also ..." with a list of sources. All that goes within one set of parentheses, but organized differently than the default. Which means several citations will go into the not-automatically-updated category.
  • I do that a lot - use "multiple sources" and prefix/suffix, which you can apply for each item individually. You can turn off auto-sorting of citations in citations with the checkbox "keep citations sorted". All of that still updates.
  • edited August 31, 2011
    Great, that helps a lot with the parentheses issue. I'd probably still want to use my own parentheses structure if I have a sentence within parentheses, and then add a citation, or if I wanted to have brackets within parentheses. But I can get along like this.

I couldn't find a "auto-sorting" function to turn off anywhere, but the editor used the order I chose.

Thanks again!
  • I've fixed the original bug you reported (that inserting citations with the Word plugin doesn't work with both Standalone and Firefox open) and the fix will be available in the next release of the Word plugin.