The QuickFormat bar should take focus as soon as possible

The QuickFormat bar now takes a couple of seconds to display probably because it executes initialization scripts. The bar would be more useable if it displayed immediately and started accepting input while loading the logic in the background.

Using the bar, I frequently get a part of the search term that I use going to the word document instead of the search bar because it does not take focus fast enough.
  • There's not all that much logic to load. I can see whether there's a way to make it take focus faster, but on my (admittedly new) MacBook Pro it appears essentially instantaneously. You don't have the XUL cache disabled, do you?
  • I am using (late 2008) aluminum macbook. Pressing opt+ctrl+a will result in a delay of approximately 3 seconds before the bar pops up. This is with a fresh FF profile, so cache is not disabled. If the keyboard could be captured during that time by FF, that would help.

I commented out the scripts in the quickFormat.xul, but this did not affect the speed in any way that I could notice. There is probably not that can be done for this.
  • edited August 30, 2011
    It displays instantaneously for me.

If it doesn't for you, provide a Debug ID for loading of the window.
  • Doesn't this speed to an important extent depend on the number of citations and the existence of a bibliography in the document? In my experience loading the classic view dialog is much faster in new or small documents than in a huge document citing hundreds of items. Haven't checked whether this is still the same for the Quickformat bar though.
  • Ah, I forgot about that part. We can probably do something there.
  • For me, it displays immediately if the document is empty. With a paper with 70 references and more than 100 citations to the references, it takes approximately 5 seconds to display.

Debug ID: 884618443

Here is a video to show the delay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A75xyEiAJGo
  • That's a Report ID, not a Debug ID.
  • Ah, sorry. The Debug ID is D20975640.

It is a bit confusing that there are the two systems.
  • Ah, I forgot about that part. We can probably do something there.
    Really hope so! That is one of the main reasons that large documents are painful to work with.
  • edited September 15, 2011
    The latest trunk (which requires new word processor plugins) collects fields from Word on a background thread on OS X and in LibreOffice. (This isn't yet supported in Word for Windows.) The quick format dialog should now appear almost instantaneously regardless of document length.