List of available tags for new items

Hi: in my database, when I add a new item, I want to be able to use existing tag names rather than create new collections because I search using tags as the filter. In essence, all my material is in one large amorphous database - no individual collections. Then I search on a tag name and find everything with that tag. However, this means I need a consistent collection of tags. Can there be a drop down list of available tags when I want to tag a new item or is this something I can already do but don't see it? My concern is that I will end up closely duplicating tags when all I need to use is an existing one without typing it in every time. Many thanks. John
  • Can there be a drop down list of available tags when I want to tag a new item or is this something I can already do but don't see it?
    Yes, Zotero has tag (and other field) auto-complete already. You should see a drop-down when you begin to type a tag that already exists.

You can also use the tag selector to assign tags by dragging items onto existing tags. See the documentation for more info.