Sharing file database on local server

Hi,

I work on a R&D firm. Since the start of our business we have accumulated a large database (more than 10Go), mainly pdf documents like scientific articles. All is stored in a local server, organized through folders.

Now we find the folder organization limited, and we would prefer multiple keywords referencing, with a bibliography datasheet for each file.

We also want the following capabilities :
- keeping files on our own server (with no local copy on each computer)
- allowing read access from multiple user at the same time

Can we do this with zotero (and how?)

Thanks,
Best regards.
  • I believe that this can be done.
    1) You need to import the documents as linked files.
    2) The absolute path to the document needs to be same on each computer (i.e. the network drive needs to be mapped to same letter on each computer on Windows)
    3) You need to set up one zotero account that is shared between all users and set Zotero to synchronize the personal library between computers.
  • mronkko is correct. This isn't an easy setup to arrange, but it's technically possible, exactly as mronkko describes. The key things are linked files and a shared single Zotero account; this can't be done using Zotero groups, iirc.

If you're supporting multiple platforms, this is not currently possible without using http-style links to addresses on an intranet server, because the paths won't line up.
  • Thanks.
    Suppose that - for any reason - the root path of my file database is to change. Will it be possible to update all links easily to match the new path?
  • There is no easy way to mass update all the links from the user interface. However, you could do this by modifying the Zotero database directly with SQL.
  • edited August 26, 2011
    I believe you mean editing zotero.sqlite file?

As it is a binary file, what tool can I use to do so (SQL command line interface?) Is there any documentation on the file structure?
  • Yes. You can use any sqlite software. I do not know if there is any documentation, but the database is not very complex, so you can find the location where the paths are stored by browsing the database.

Also there is a tool called ZotFile that does some moving of files, but I do not know if it helps in this problem.
  • By the way, if mass editing records with SQL is possible...

I would like to add a blank record for every file, with a link to the file, and idealy keep the tree structure of my folders with collections.

Do you think this can be done?