Format prefix/suffix in Word plugin

This topic has already been discussed, but I did not understand everything.

We use Word 2007 to write our documents, which allows us to use some formatting options (italics, ...) and the French punctuation rules (non-breaking space before a semicolon ...)

When we insert a footnote with Zotero, we often need to quote a piece of text in the prefix and / or suffix.

But we do not have any possibility to format it in the Zotero window.
Even if we prepare the text in Word with the proper formatting, when we copy it in the Zotero window, this formatting disappears.

This is very annoying, because when we quote a piece of text, we must respect the typography rules.

Is it any hope to get these functions ?
  • you can edit prefix/suffix in the show editor window. Italics are definitely possible - non-breaking spaces I don't know.
  • edited August 23, 2011
    Non-breaking spaces are certainly possible, but you'll have to insert them manually-- Word provides some logic for inserting them intelligently, but that won't work within the Zotero integration window. I know that Shift-Space makes a non-breaking space with my English-International layout (Ubuntu Linux)-- there's probably a similar way to force the same for Windows 7.
  • Thank you for your advice.

I realize I have expressed myself badly..

I had seen this "show editor window" before, but the sentence
    "Warning: If you edit a citation in the editor it will no longer update to reflect changes in your database or the citation style"
    had discouraged me to use it.

I feared that it would lead Zotero not to be able to manage the links between several references to the same item.

As a matter of fact, Zotero is a great help in managing the ibid, opus cit. , which is rather difficult manually. So I just don't want to loose this function.

The ideal would be to have these options for formatting + the automatic update references in Zotero.

As to the non-breaking space, actually I use ctrl-shift-spacebar to enter one in Word, but it doesn't work in the editor; if you prepare the text in Word, copying it in the editor renders a standard space.
  • You just want to edit the Prefix and Suffix fields in the integration window, which will preserve the automatic updating, ibid, etc. It should be possible to insert such a space using ALT-0160 (hold down ALT, enter the numerals on the number pad), since the other shortcut might be Word-specific (and the Zotero window isn't part of Word).
  • Thanks for this idea concerning the non-breaking space.

Even if we can't see the symbol in the Zotero window, it appears correctly in the footnote itself.
  • Glad to hear.
  • Why not use "nbsp" [html code for non-breaking space] in the csl style? Will this work?
  • you can use nbsp (or the equivalent xml code - not sure if nbsp will actually work) in the csl style. That wouldn't solve the problem above though - l2laffite is talking about a quote in the prefix field of the word plugin, which wouldn't be affected by anything in the csl.
  • nbsp won't work, but you can use & #160; (without the space)