Not signed in (Sign In)

Quick Links

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Apart from COinS, which obviously has some limitations, are there any other metadata standards that Zotero can 'Quick Copy' a selection and the resultant XML/HTML/whatever be inserted somewhere in a webpage and be seen by Zotero?

Ideally, the more than one reference should be able to be inserted and more than books and journals recognized.

So we are clear -- (1) I want to use my own library, (2) I want to drag-and-drop relevant references to what I am discussing from my Zotero Library into the webpage or blog that I am working on, (3) at least, Zotero be able to 'see/import' these references, and (4) have more than books and articles recognized.
    • CommentAuthorajlyon
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

COinS is currently the only real option. RDFa would be an option, but nothing supports it (not Zotero, and not anything else that I know of, apart from clients that specialize in RDF).

We do hope to start supporting several vocabularies with RDFa, much as COinS currently is supported, in the relatively near future. That will include detection in webpages and export in some way, but there's no timeline.

I will follow noksagt's advice and fall back to the DC type and specify genres in the next version of the COinS exporter, but I'm travelling again until Monday; feel free to bump this thread if there's no activity by this time next week.
    • CommentAuthorajlyon
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

I'd forgotten that this logic is in the Zotero core code-- it'll take a bit more time and effort to get other item types working, so I'm rescinding my one week timeline. It would still be relatively straightforward to add more types to COinS import and export, but I won't be working on that for a while yet. Sorry.
    No problems from my point of view. COinS is a solution, but by far inadequate for robust long term use.

In the short-term it is a matter of just reminding yourself that it only really works on books, articles and chapters.

If you get an opportunity to work on the translator having data fall back to its generic schema before being exported would be good but you know then you will get posts of why someones presentation is being formatted like a book.
    I'v actually problems with chapters: the CoINS produced by Zotero doesn't show rft.btitle and when I reimport it into Zotero I lack the book title. Any possible solutions?
    and, as in this example the single author is given as bot rft.au and rft.aufirst+rft.aulast, so that I get the same author twice on reimporting

<span class='Z3988' title='url_ver=Z39.88-2004&ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fzotero.org%3A2&rft_id=urn%3Aisbn%3A8842209805&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Abook&rft.genre=book&rft.btitle=Le%20Chasses%20Royales%20in%20Valle%20d'Aosta%20(1850-1919)&rft.place=Torino&rft.publisher=Umberto%20Allemandi&rft.aufirst=Pietro&rft.aulast=Passerin%20d'Entre%CC%80ves&rft.au=Pietro%20Passerin%20d'Entre%CC%80ves&rft.date=2000&rft.tpages=142&rft.isbn=8842209805'></span>
    • CommentAuthormark
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012 edited

I have had problems implementing book chapters in COinS too — the concept of editor is missing. (Previous thread.)
    • CommentAuthoradamsmith
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

The lack of editor is a limitation of the format, but what Wilko reports sounds like a bug (or two) to me.
    If anyone wants to take a look that'd be great, I won't have time anytime soon.
    • CommentAuthoradamsmith
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012

@wilko - are you still having the 2nd problem you report? I don't get duplicate authors (also, note that for items like your sample export, Zotero will actually do an ISBN query first)

Zotero Forums are powered by Vanilla 1.1.5a