Firefox 6 claims Zotero 2.1.8 is not compatible, but it is

Firefox reported that Zotero 2.1.8 is incompatible with Firefox 6.0 in a pre-installation warning about extension compatibility.

Indeed, the Zotero plugin was not available for use after I installed Firefox 6.0. The extensions page claimed incompatibility.

However, I downloaded Zotero 2.1.8 from the Zotero web site, re-installed it, and it worked.

I run Windows Vista, current update.
  • I've updated Zotero's compatibility information on the Mozilla Add-ons page. We had already updated the compatibility for the version from zotero.org, which is why that installed for you. Thanks.
  • I'm not a computer geek, just an academic, so ProjGeekette's comment has me a little concerned: if I re-install Zotero will I lose all my data? Alternatively, do your updates mean can I go ahead and download Firefox 6 as I was just urgently prompted to do (even though I also got the same warming)? I have Zotero 2.1.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks.
  • No, you don't lose any data re-installing Zotero (the new installation finds your old data directory) and yes, you can upgrade to FF6 without any issues.

That said, you should make sure to always, always have an automatic and regular back-up of your Zotero folder - and of all other important data. In your case you can just use Mac's built in Time Machine.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_library
  • edited August 22, 2011
    I did think that the upgrade for firefox 6 was done but it is not really the case. I can install Zotero 2.1.8 without problem and without notice from Firefox of any incompatibility. But then, Zotero is systematically disconnected every time Firefox starts. It can be reactivited sometimes and sometimes not.
    I guess that the compatibility is not complete.
    Thanks if you can quickly fix this problem. My OS is XP.
    Thierry
  • Joliveau: Zotero 2.1.8 is fully compatible with Firefox 6, and has been since early July. If you're having a problem, start a new thread, and explain what "systematically disconnected" means.

http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs

Closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.