tab groups broken

My tab groups aren't working, and this has something to do with Zotero or my configuration of Zotero. I'm using Firefox 6. When I hit the tab groups button nothing happens. In Firefox 5 the tab groups window would open but just sit there, not showing any tabs in any groups. If I disable Zotero it works fine. I have Zotero opened as a tab, which typically I pin (though that seems unimportant--unpinning and restarting does nothing, unpinning and closing the tab and restarting does nothing--the only way I've been able to get the tab groups button working again is to disable Zotero). Any ideas? Thanks.
  • What platform are you on? I can't reproduce this on OS X.
  • OS X--Snow Leopard. Is there a way to see errors that occur when I hit the tab groups file? Does Firefox have an error log or error console for the chrome? I'm sure this has something to with my configuration or someone else would have complained about this long ago. For the life of me I can't figure it out.
  • I (sort of) figured it out.

Here's the error that was generated when I tried to activate the tab groups:

TypeError: element is null = {fileName: 'chrome://browser/content/tabview.js', lineNumber: 8609, }

The problem is the "keys[key] = element.getAttribute("key").toLocaleUpperCase().charCodeAt(0)" line in following function

// Function: _setupBrowserKeys
    // Sets up the allowed browser keys using key elements.
    _setupBrowserKeys: function UI__setupKeyWhiteList() {
    let keys = {};

[
    //@line 993 "/builds/slave/rel-m-rel-osx64-bld/build/browser/base/content/tabview/ui.js"
    "quitApplication",
    //@line 996 "/builds/slave/rel-m-rel-osx64-bld/build/browser/base/content/tabview/ui.js"
    "preferencesCmdMac", "minimizeWindow",
    //@line 998 "/builds/slave/rel-m-rel-osx64-bld/build/browser/base/content/tabview/ui.js"
    "newNavigator", "newNavigatorTab", "undo", "cut", "copy", "paste",
    "selectAll", "find"
    ].forEach(function(key) {
    let element = gWindow.document.getElementById("key_" + key);
    keys[key] = element.getAttribute("key").toLocaleLowerCase().charCodeAt(0);
    });

// for key combinations with shift key, the charCode of upper case letters
    // are different to the lower case ones so need to handle them differently.
    ["closeWindow", "tabview", "undoCloseTab", "undoCloseWindow",
    "privatebrowsing", "redo"].forEach(function(key) {
    let element = gWindow.document.getElementById("key_" + key);
    keys[key] = element.getAttribute("key").toLocaleUpperCase().charCodeAt(0);
    });

delete this._browserKeys;
    this._browserKeys = keys;
    },

I don't totally follow all of this code but can follow it enough to figure out that it appears to have something to do with the keyboard shortcuts. The shortcut for the tab groups is Command-Shift-E. I don't have anything using Command-Shift-E in my Zotero shortcuts, but unchecking the "try to override conflicting shortcuts" option resolved the problem. Thanks for the help.
  • Thanks for posting this fix rnelson2. I had the same problem, except I'm on OS X Lion. Unchecking "try to override conflicting shortcuts" also fixed the issue for me.