Importing items doesn't always bring in PDF as attachment

When I click on the link in Firefox's Address Bar, normally the paper that I select from the list gets imported into Zotero AND the PDF is also included in the Zotero item, as an attachment, if you are logged in with the proper credentials and if the PDF is available via a link on the current page.

However, this does not always work as expected, and sometimes (quite often), importing a paper into Zotero using this method only attaches a snapshot of the current page (Jstor/Sagepub etc), which includes just the abstract, without also attaching the PDF, even though it *is* just "one click away" from the snapshot page. In these cases, you need to save the PDF on your hard-drive and manually bring it into Zotero as an attachment of that paper, while deleting the snapshot.

Is this a problem with Zotero, or can I change a setting somewhere in order to make it always import the PDF, rather than the page snapshot, as an attachment? Many thanks fpr any help.
  • the snapshot is usually included on purpose - many people find it desirable. Attaching a pdf should work for Sage and JSTOR - the former only where you have access, for the latter you have to open one pdf manually per session to agree to the terms and conditions. Otherwise whether a pdf is attached or not depends on the site and the translator.
    You can search the forum for a specific translator and see if there has been any discussion on pdf inclusion, otherwise you can start a new thread. Same if a pdf isn't attached for a database where it's supposed to work.
    Always make sure you have the newest version of the translator and to include as much information as possible, including a link _including_ your institutions proxy in case you're using it.
  • Thanks Adam. I normally just update the ZOtero and the Zotero Winword Integration plug-ins - how do I update the translator?
  • Normally, just click the "update now" button in the general tab of the Zotero prefs.
    If you find a discussion with a more recent translator update (EBSCO is an example) it will include instructions on how to manually update, but that's not necessary for regular usage.
  • Got it, many thanks for your help.