Style Request: Science of the Total Environment

I would be very grateful if someone could create a style for Science of the Total Environment.

SIMILAR STYLE
BMJ Case Reports

DIFFERENCES FROM SIMILAR STYLE
No italics or bold. Everything must be in plain text.

Book
Strunk Jr W, White EB. The elements of style. 4th ed. New York: Longman; 1979.
semi-colon after publisher

Chapter in Edited Book
e.g. Mettam GR, Adams LB. How to prepare an electronic version of your article. In: Jones BS, Smith RZ, editors. Introduction to the electronic age. New York: E-Publishing Inc; 2009. p. 281–304.
"editors" should be typed in full instead of just "eds."
semi-colon after publisher
"p." before page numbers

LINK TO STYLE GUIDE
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/503360/authorinstructions#68000
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/uniform_requirements.html

Thanks in advance,
john
  • i just realized that a lot of the smaller edits are relatively easy to implement. however, i'm still having a few problems.

GENERAL
    1. short page numbers required for all citations
    e.g. 51-9 instead of 51-59

JOURNAL ARTICLE
    2. is it possible to use journal abbreviations instead of the full journal title?
    e.g. Geochim Cosmochim Acta instead of Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta

3. incorrect capitalization of "Et" in one of the journal title.
    e.g. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta instead of Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta

BOOK CHAPTER
    4. editors should be written as ", editors." instead of "(Ed)."
    e.g. Mettam GR, Adams LB. How to prepare an electronic version of your article. In: Jones BS, Smith RZ, editors. Introduction to the electronic age. New York: E-Publishing Inc; 2009. p. 281–304.
    instead of:
    Mettam GR, Adams LB. How to prepare an electronic version of your article. In: Jones BS, Smith RZ (Ed). Introduction to the electronic age. New York: E-Publishing Inc; 2009. pp. 281–304.

5. page numbers should be written with "p." instead of "pp." (see above)

once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

see code below.
  • oops. looks like the code is too be to post. i can provide the code upon request to anyone kind enough to help.

thanks,
    john
  • please post the code to gist.github.com as a public gist a post the link here.
    Also, see here, for some more details that are hopefully helpful:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/sharing_styles
  • thanks for the heads up. below please find the link for the style.

git://gist.github.com/1145800.git
  • I'm interested in this style also. Please let me know when/where it is available. Thanks.
  • 1. put page-range-format="minimal" as a global option, i.e. include it in what is currently the 2nd line of your style. AFAIK his won't apply to page ranges you put in through the plugin.

2. In line 289 insert form="short" - this will print the journal abbreviation as input in the Journal Abbr. field in Zotero, which is all that's currently possible.

3. I would just remove text-case="title" from line 289. The only disadvantage is that this will give you sentence case (or rather: whatever case the item is input in in Zotero) for titles of edited books - if that's not acceptable, you'll need to distinguish between journal articles and book chapters through and if loop, along the lines of
    <choose>
    <if type="article=journal">
    </if>
    <else>
    </else>
    </choose>

4. You'll need to change the labels, for book chapters, that's l. 59, change it to
    <label form="long" prefix=", " lowercase"/>

5. in line 392 add plural="never" (also, you can delete the period out of the suffix as well as the strip-periods="true" attribute if you want to to make the style cleaner).

Any questions let us know.
  • thanks very much for your help! i've posted the revised style on gist.github.com.

https://gist.github.com/1156147

i would be grateful if someone would review and post to the style repository.
  • Committed after making a few changes. Should show up in the Style Repository shortly.
  • ah - was just going to do that, too.
    For reference - this style is pretty close to Elsevier Harvard (and uses the same sample references) but is _not_ identical.
  • Thanks very much!!! BTW, is it true that Zotero 3.0 beta will have a GUI style editor? Does this mean that we will not have to bother with this anymore? john
  • no, there is a GUI style editor under development from Mendeley (which uses the same styles, so it would work for Zotero, too) but nothing related to Zotero 3.0.
    Also, my prediction would be that for people somewhat comfortable with xml, editing the code will remain the fastest and most effective way to adapt styles.