problems working on document I started in 2009

I first began this document in early 2009, using zotero. I had not worked on it since March 2011. This week I started working on it again, its going to be a chapter in a book. Something is seriously wrong.

When I delete a footnote (by deleting the number, as I would usually do), the entire number disappears. If I add another footnote in the same area of the text, the number never comes back.... meaning that I will have footnotes 1, 2, 3 - then no footnote 4! It then skips to footnote 5. Short of retyping the whole thing again, is there anything I can do?

I have never seen this problem before in any of my other files.

thanks
  • which style? And are we really talking footnotes? In that case this is much more likely to be a word problem than a Zotero problem - Zotero just tells word to insert footnotes.
  • edited August 8, 2011
    Using Chicago style. I just got out an old version of the text and in a sense "started over" - I updated it to Word 2008 and took out the field codes and its actually working without losing numbers.

hopefully this will work, have done a few "notes" and no numbers have disappeared.