cannot start zotero

I was getting translator errors from Web of Science, so I tried the fix posted by username "ajlyon" (save new version of ISI translaor file). Now, zotero does not work at all. The zotero window opens in my Firefox browser, but it reports an error and does not work. I tried re-installing zotero, as well as uninstalling and re-installing Firefox, which did not help. The error report number I got when trying to start zotero is: 671499368.
  • (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/translator.js :: :: line 304
    Right-click on your 'zotero' directory (your Zotero data directory), click Properties, and make sure the Read-Only checkbox is empty.
  • Thanks for your help. I have tried this several times, with "apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files" checked (the other option, "this folder only," is greyed out). The desired change (uncheck the Read-Only box) does not take. When I uncheck the Read-Only box and then click "OK" or "apply," the computer scans through the folder and appears to be doing something (takes about 10 seconds), but when it is done, if I look at Properties again, the Read-Only box is still checked. I am using Windows 7. Any further suggestions?
  • that's a Windows issue then, we can't do much to help, Zotero needs the write permissions. Might be security software or so, you may have to do this as an administrator, but in any case it's not a Zotero issue.
  • I have resolved the problem. When I saved the new ISI translator file, I created a subfolder in my zotero/translator directory to save the old version of the ISI translator. After removing this subfolder, zotero works fine, and the new ISI translator seems to work as well.