Zotero doesn't recognize .txt from Endnote?

2»
  • I am unable to export the results of a Cochrane Library search into Zotero. When I try to use the icon in the URL bar, it gives me a citation of a completely unrelated document. I am using Zotero stand alone and Safari connector. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • what are your search terms and what's the search URL
  • The search terms is actually a series of searches built together with the search manager, I am not sure how to display that here.

The search URL is just: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/cochranelibrary/search/advanced
  • if you do a regular search, does that work?
  • I just did a regular search and the Zotero button in the URL bar worked fine! I realized that on my big series of searches, the Zotero icon is a book and not a file folder (which it was for my simpler search). Perhaps this means something?
  • yes, I can replicate that.
    We'll see what we can do - Zotero just doesn't realize the search happens (you'll see the single article icon even without a search - there's a DOI somewhere on that page that it picks up), so we need to trigger that - I believe we're able to do that, might take a little before I get to it, though.
  • Ok, that is great. Thanks. Will keep an eye out for any updates.
  • that wasn't too bad, should work now:
    Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting
  • Thank you, but unfortunately I am still unable to import my list of search results.

I do now see an icon that looks like a piece of paper (not a book icon), but it still imports the following (unrelated) single citation, as it was doing yesterday.

Book section called: Addition to inhaled corticosteroids of long-acting beta2-agonists versus anti-leukotrienes for chronic asthma

URL in Zotero citation: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/cochranelibrary/search/advanced

I did "update now" my Zotero before I tried. Tried closing and re-opening Zotero and also ran the search again in a new Safari window, but still no luck.

It still recognizes this item even before I run the search and am just in the 'search manager' page.

I'd appreciate any new suggestions! Thanks.
  • you should see a folder just like in the basic search. Definitely works for me. Do you have Zotero Standalone open when you try this? That might not work, try this with only Firefox open.
  • I just tried again after closing my stand-alone Zotero. Still no luck. I am using Safari, not Firefox.
  • oh sorry, this won't work with Safari, somehow I remembered you using Firefox. I'll have a workaround for you in a couple of minutes though. Involves one extra click, but shouldn't be a problem otherwise.
  • OK go here:
    http://adam3smith.github.io/zotero-tools/
    and drag the bookmarklet link to your bookmark toolbar. Click the bookmarklet after doing the search. I'm pretty sure that should work on Safari, though I can't test.
  • Ok, it did make the icon into a file folder and a window popped up to select which items I'd like to import. However, it then says "An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information." So nothing actually got imported. Do you know of known translator issues that would affect this?
  • Try to select only one item and import. If that doesn't work, follow the link to that item and see if you can import it with the icon in the URL bar there. Obviously that shouldn't be necessary, but we want to make sure that this is not a problem specific to the import you're looking at.
  • There are 2 subsets of my search results: Cochrane Reviews and Other Reviews and it appears there is a difference…perhaps this is the base of the issue.

For Cochrane Reviews: selecting one item and importing worked and also following a link to one item and using the icon in the URL bar worked for Cochrane Reviews, although it imported as item type=book section, but perhaps that is what Zotero considers Cochrane.

For Other Reviews: selecting one item did not work. Also, following a link to these items (the couple I tried) had a greyed out Zotero button in the URL bar.
  • OK, that's as good as it is going to get for the time being. "Other Reviews" aren't supported. I might look into that at some point, but not right now.
  • Oh, ok. Well, thanks for your help to this point.
  • edited October 31, 2013
    Btw, @adamsmith, monitorDOMChanges should be working in Safari 6.0+

Edit: Sorry about that, there is currently a bug in Chrome/Safari/Opera connectors. Should be fixed with the next release.
  • All Cochrane item types are now supported:
    Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

Any further problems let us know
  • Sorry to bring this up again, but I still have the same “date problem” importing references from the Cochrane library http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/cochranelibrary/search/
    I asked to Wiley’s customer service in November 2013 and it still occurs into Zotero 4.0.26.4, used with Mozilla Firefox EU 38.0.5 (same problem with 35.0.1).

All references are imported with the date 1996.
    Example : "vinblastine"

Their answer :
    “It is advised that the citations exported from The Cochrane library are of a fixed and standard format.
    In Zotero, the date reflected is all 1996, but when our citations are exported, we have correct date reflected in the citation.
    Unfortunately we are not able to assist on this as we cannot change the details which is already correct.
    You may wish to contact Zotero regarding your enquiry.
    Thank you for your understanding.”

The problem also occurs with the “ http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ : only with the reviews “Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews”, not with the “Cochrane Clinical Answers”.

Have you any suggestion to fix that ?

Thank you for your help !
  • This really is in their data:

Provider: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
    Content:text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

TY - CHAP
    T1 - Telephone communication of HIV testing results for improving knowledge of HIV infection status
    A1 - Tudor Car, Lorainne
    A1 - Gentry, Sarah
    A1 - van-Velthoven, Michelle HMMT
    A1 - Car, Josip
    PB - John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
    SN - 1465-1858
    UR - http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009192.pub2
    DO - 10.1002/14651858.CD009192.pub2
    T2 - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
    Y1 - 1996
    N2 - ...

But they actually no longer offer this as an export format via their webpage, though it's clearly still available. We can try to work around that, but it's not qoing to be easy/quick.
  • right, but we can still get to the RIS, which has a number of advantages, including the item type being included, better author formatting (hard to tell what are first and last names with the Wiley format) and, of course, the fact that we already know how to import it. So, if we could keep using RIS that'd be great, but the date issue is a problem...
  • You are right, this text format is nonstandard and not very useful.
  • We tried to fix the date for entries of the Cochrane library. It should work better now. Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • About a year ago at a library convention I met with the metadata tech people of a few publishers. One of them was from Wiley and there happened to be someone who was connected with the Cochrane material. I brought an iPad and demonstrated the problem with the date in their RIS metadata. At first he said that the date was correct. I then showed that the RIS date conflicted with the html and pdf dates. Then he said that if this was a widespread problem it would have been reported before now. After he talked with someone he said that RIS is a legacy format and was being phased out in favor of formats for "more modern programs". He went on to say that Reference Manager hasn't been sold for years and years. By that point I was speechless.

Recently, I talked with someone who is on one of the Cochrane teams of reviewers. At first she didn't understand the problem. She thought that I was confused by there being multiple versions of the same review title as the key reviews are updated every few years. I demonstrated the metadata date problem that didn't allow those citing to have the correct publication date for the review they referenced. She got it. She said that she would pass this along to the proper people. I will follow up tomorrow or next week.
  • we think we have a very solid solution for now, as long as they don't actually cut off the RIS support.
  • I mean, they're not wrong about RIS being a terrible and outdated format. Whatever replacement they're offering right now, though, is probably 3 steps back. I wish we would see more services moving towards a more modern/sophisticated format, but I can't say I know for sure what that format is. CSL JSON? RDF with Prism vocabulary? MARC XML?
  • Thank you very much for replying so quickly !
    It works perfectly fine for me.

The amazing power of Zotero community developers...