Mac + OpenOffice + Zotero. Any experiences and opinions?

Hi folks,
I'm in the market for a new laptop and am increasingly of the opinion that a MacBook Air will suit my needs (lightweight and small, portable, relatively durable, extended battery time, SSD). I haven't been an Apple user (well, not including phones and pods) since the 1980s, but I'm not married to the PC scene. So, I'm soliciting opinions and experiences. I'm especially interested to hear from anyone using openoffice, as that's my preferred software suite as well. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd prefer not to share your thoughts with everyone else.

thanks a bunch!

Scott
  • I use OpenOffice/LibreOffice + Zotero seamlessly across both Ubuntu Linux (Thinkpad laptop) and Mac (desktop) machines. If you're happy with it on Windows (?), you should be equally happy on other platforms.

What exactly do you want input on?
  • Thanks for this. I was just curious to hear if people were experiencing more instability or anything, but I suppose it's safe to assume that both OpenOffice and Firefox run well enough on OS X machines that Zotero wouldn't have any major unique problems?

And yes, I'm generally quite happy with how OpenOffice + Zotero work on my Windows XP machine. The complaints I have haven't been bothersome enough to post on the forums in quite a while, and the ability to browse and save references and resources (pdf, web content, etc, etc) is still awesome. My one major issue - the AAA citation style problem - seems close to being resolved, and I'm guessing that part of my occasional lag and freeze problem has to do with the age and condition of my machine (and when I updated to FF 5.0, it was greatly improved...).

thanks again!