ProQuest Dissertations (UMI Number) Question

Hi Everybody,

Long time listener, first time caller here....

I have a huge number (300+) of digitized dissertations that I'd like to avoid cataloging by hand, if possible. Since each dissertation has already been assigned a unique UMI Number, is it possible to import the bibliographic info, etc. that ProQuest presumably has stored into Zotero by using this number?

If not by UMI Number, has anybody figured out a handy way to quickly and painlessly catalog dissertations?

I poked around the fora here, but no luck finding an answer on this.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all might be able to give!

Rob
  • There isn't an easy way.
    Zotero does work with some Proquest databases, so you could try to get the data from there - that would avoid you the trouble of inserting data by hand, though you'll probably still have to go one by one. Using UMI like you can with DOI, ISBN, PubmedID isn't possible - first, Proquest would have to have a query system (like Worldcat, CrossRef, and Pubmed) that allowed Zotero to send simple queries for UMIs and then return results. Then, someone would still have to code that feature.
  • Thanks Adam.

I've been able to find dissertation records in the OCLC WorldCat database, and there is even a tempting little "export record" dialog box, but the resulting file isn't recognized by Zotero.

If OCLC has all the resulting info, then presumably Zotero plays nice with them, right?
  • Search for each number in the ProQuest dissertation database and click the thesis button in the address bar to save it to Zotero. If this doesn't work for a dissertation, post the URL or accession number and I'll see what's up. I believe our ProQuest dissertation support is pretty adequate-- I was just using it yesterday.
  • Ah, I think the problem is that my old institution had access to the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database, whereas my current one does not... If ProQuest is the only sources for this info then I am out of luck (unless I can figure out a work-around through WorldCat). Thank you, though!
  • I don't know of any reliable and comprehensive databases for US dissertations that you could use to replace ProQuest/UMI, and those that you'd find may not have the UMI numbers.

Good luck.
  • I think Worldcat does catalogue all Proquest dissertations. Two thougths:
    a) Zotero does work with worldcat both at worldcat.org and at oclc - you should just be able to import through the item in the URL bar.
    b) At least newer dissertations through Proquest have ISBNs - those would make things easier for you...