LibreOffice 3.3.2: Extra text gets included in Zotero citation field

Hi there. I've got Ubuntu 11.04, LibreOffice 3.3.2 with Zotero 2.1.8 and Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.5a2.

When I insert a citation into a document, if I type past the citation, then delete my typing up to the citation and start typing again, the typing gets included in the citation field (i.e. it is shown in grey when View Field Shadings is switched on.

I.e.

Insert Citation:
(FooBar 2010)
Now type:
(FooBar 2010)this is text

everything looks fine....

Now delete:

(FooBar 2010)
and add again

(FooBar 2010)more text

it now appears as if the citation includes the whole "(FooBar 2010)more text". If I switch citation styles (my default is ASA) the "extra" shading goes away. I can't find another way to make it go away though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • This is known and has been an issue with Ooo for a long time. To prevent that, after the citation, press return, space, move the cursor back once and press backspace, move the cursor forward once. Since this doesn't occur in most situations and the workaround is pretty quick once you know it it's not a big issue in actual usage.
  • In OpenOffice you can try typing ctrl-M (default formatting) when the cursor is next to the citation field.
    Since my upgrade to ZoteroLibreofficeIntegration 3.5.1, I have to use this trick to avoid the reference field extending beyond the citation field itself. This problem was absent with old versions (related to Zotero 2). (I am using OpenOffice 3.0.1.)
  • FWIW, I'd really like to see that addressed in future versions...
  • jesus christ can someone fix this yet
  • This issue still continues on LibreOffice 6.2.2.2 .

You can always get around this by pressing enter (new line), then typing the punctuation/space/text you want to add after the field, then backspacing from the start of that new line to point where you have your Zotero field*. Not the most elegant solution, but one that works nonetheless.

* This explanation is similar to adamsmith's (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/97700/#Comment_97700).
  • We have opened a ticket with LibreOffice developers for this, since it is for them, not us, to fix. They have marked it as high importance so hopefully it will be addressed relatively soon.