Choice of the citation number

Hello,
I'm using Zotero in a Word and my project is cut in several files. I have some bibliographic reference in several and I would like to choose the number of the reference (for example, in the first document, I have the reference 1 - 30 and in the second document I want to continue my numérotation so the first reference number is 31).
Is it possible to do such a thing with Zotero ?
Thanks
  • Not in Zotero. If you use a note-based style like Chicago, it might be possible to have footnotes start at a certain number, but that would be a Word/Ooo setting and not Zotero related (though it would apply to footnotes inserted by Zotero). For numeric styles - like IEEE, Vancouver, or Nature - the answer is no.

That said - is there any reason you can't reassemble the different parts of your project at the end to get the numbers right?
  • edited July 6, 2011
    Thanks for your answer.

I didn't think to use the format name-year which could be very useful in my case.

In fact, I work with a Master Document and the several documents are some subdocuments and when I gather all the subdocuments, word doesn't recognize the reference.
    I explain : the reference are here but there is no link with Zotero and I can't generate a bibliography in the master document. For that problem I think to generate the bibliography in the subdocuments and then copy it in the bibliography subdocument. If you have a solution...
  • Being able to choose the first citation number for each sub-document would only work if you never refer to items already referenced in preceding sub-documents (otherwise you'll get duplicates in your bibliography).
  • I found a work around.
    My thesis had to be submitted in two documents (front matter, and main document). The second document footnotes needed to start at 14.
    You can't do it in Zotero, but you can do it in Word. Before your first Zotero citation in the second document, insert a reference using Insert>footnote. You have the option of selecting the first number of the footnote sequence (pick 14 in my example). Then, all subsequent Zotero citations will be 15, 16, etc.
    It's too bad the feature isn't in Zotero itself, but this is one way to get around that limitation.
  • As per what I wrote above, though, that'll only work for footnote styles (and since all footnote related setting are handled in Word and you will typically have non-Zotero foonotes as well, that's the right place for that setting).
    There is no solutions for numeric styles like Vancouver or IEEE