Group Settings: UI issues with Transfer Ownership

On the Members tab, there are some issues with the Transfer Ownership option:

1. It is too prominent. This is something you rarely do. User interface choices should mirror and anticipate actual usage. (There are loads of choices in the current web UI that violate this principle.)

2. It is confusing. The select dropdown already preselects a user that is not the current admin; in fact the current admin is not even in the dropdown. That is confusing. Makes me think twice everytime I see it. In fact it is not just confusing, it also makes it possible to transfer ownership in one click. At least that is what it seems like -- not trusting the interface I've never dared to click that button.

3. It reveals programmer's logic rather than user's logic (this may simply be because of lack of time, as Dan pointed out elsewhere, but the result is the same). For a programmer, Transfer Ownership by definition excludes the current owner and so a dropdown list is generated that excludes the current owner. For a user, it is as important to be reaffirmed that everything is good as it is to be able to change stuff.
  • Just a bump because I'm curious whether this has been noted.
  • edited September 14, 2011
    Another gentle bump because I'd like to know whether this has been noted.
  • It has (and had been for a while). We've been aware that various aspects of the group interface leave much to be desired, but it was functional and the new library seemed more important. Now that all the major changes have been made there will be more frequent minor updates to the website and we can take some time to work on the outstanding usability issues.
  • Thanks. And apologies for the bumps, especially if this was noted somewhere in trac — I don't look there because I try to having too many accounts and places to check. For forum users like me it is always somewhat difficult to know whether something has been seen or not.