Latest on Endnote > Zotero with PDF attach

Will someone please give the definitive solution for import / export between Endnote (X1) and Zotero (2.1.8) with Firefox (5.0), including file attachments (pdf, doc, xls, etc).

I am ready to migrate to Zotero for good but still have about 3000 references, most with PDF attachments, in Endnote.

As a backup solution it would be useful to know how one imports back into Endnote from Zotero, but this is secondary.
  • edited June 29, 2011
    By postponing the export of my endnote refs w/ pdfs these past several months I was hoping that the r & d of import / export would be caught up. I'm not sure whether or not this is the case because I have yet to achieve a successful import of refs with their pdfs.

I am using the latest Endnote RefMan (RIS) Export.ens file (2011) together with what I believe is the latest RIS.js translator for 2.1.8 (preferences/reset translators).

The error code is 928355028. Would someone be so kind and offer advice?

I should also mention that I use Windows 7 so I have been unable to get the ris-fix.vbs to work.
  • You don't say what the problem is.
  • edited June 30, 2011
    Thank you for replying Dan,

The import did not finish. In the meantime I think I may have fixed the problem by simplifying the source path of the endnote pdf folder. I was able to import about 450 references in one go.

However there is still the problem that Zotero renames all the imported pdfs to 'Full Text (PDF)'. This is mostly annoying because I went to a lot of trouble to name the pdfs correctly.

The more serious problem is that Zotero only seems to import one attachment per reference. Is there a solution for this?
  • edited June 30, 2011
    Hi again,

I got an error message with the next set of ca 400 references with the message

"An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again."

Debug ID is D1595874620

Note the first set was about 500 refs and that worked fine so I don't think the ref count/number the issue.