blog / twitter

Hi, I love Zotero and I want to be informed about what is going on. On Zotero Twitter and FB is too much noise and blog posts are not so often. I would like to be informed as soon as a new version is released (FF4 updates automatically). I want to know what is going on under the hood (but not too much and not too often because I am not a developer). I am excited about new CSL 1.0.
Sooooo: conclusion: I want to be informed but not too much. No info channel exactly fits my needs. I propose more blog posts. I am grateful for the wonderful work you are doing :-)
  • more blog posts are planned - what type of things would you want to read?
  • I want to read:
    - changelog (what is new in new version)
    - if a book on Zotero is out
    - news under hood (new CSL style)
    - shifts in Zotero policy (eg. shift to GNU GPL license)
    - new plugins
    - new ways to overcome Zotero limitations
    - major changes on web
    - posts more often than just on April 1st
  • A changelog is up already, just not on the blog: http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_changelog

The rest of it would be great to have, but it's probably a matter of limited resources. Debbie has been working on the blog, and there were posts on the Zotero book (yesterday), and on the Zotpress plugin.

It'd be good to have more frequent updates, perhaps an occasional roundup of Zotero news from the web (blog posts and the like about Zotero on other sites, reviews, major issues and innovations from the forums, development list, and actual development).

I'd really love to see a preview of the updated web functionality, too.
  • just to explain why this isn't as easy as it may seem:

- the changelog (which you can find here, every time Zotero updates)
    http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_changelog
    and especially for small standard releases usually contains mainly bug fixes - so the question is if that's really interesting or even intelligible for most users

- the Zotero book is just out (and mentioned on the blog that same day)

- New CSL - yes, I'm hoping to put something together on that with Debbie and Rintze

- Shifts in policy - Zotero has been on GPL for a long time now. The recent shift to AGPL is really just a technicality that doesn't change anything about Zotero policy - it's just more suitable now that larger and larger parts of the Zotero code run on the server.

- new plugins - yes, I agree, we should publicize plugins more - but to the best of my knowledge there had been no new plugin for a substantial while before Zotpress was published (and that got a blog post)

- major changes on the web - hasn't happened, but is being prepared. I'm sure there'll be a post something actually happens.

- new ways to overcome Zotero limitations - not quite sure what you mean by that.

None of this is to say that the blog shouldn't be more active - it should be and I know that Debbie - Zotero's community lead - completely agrees. I'm just saying that it's a challenge to fill the blog with the right amount of relevant posts and not do too much or be too technical. In addition, Debbie also has the Newsletter (which I believe hasn't yet been sent) which will server a similar function - if you're interested in Zotero news you should sign up.