First name/ last name mixup in Word

Hey there!

I’ve been using Zotero for about a week now and I am currently trying to use it in combination with the Word-plugin. I think it’s a great product and I was really glad to find something that would pull me out of TeX/JabRef world. A world I never really got used to. ;)
That aside I am hoping I haven’t cheered too soon as I am having trouble with the citations in my Word document.

I have tested this with several citation styles but mostly with “Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography)” and “Modern Humanities Research Association (Note with Bibliography)”.
Both styles seem to mix up first names and family names.

Example: (MHRA)

Export from Firefox directly:
Breit, Peter Theodor, Societas Europaea (SE) Und Societas Cooperativa Europaea (SCE) (LIT Verlag Münster).

The same citation in Word:
Peter Theodor Breit, Societas Europaea (SE) Und Societas Cooperativa Europaea (SCE) (LIT Verlag Münster).

As you would guess I want the citation in Word to start with the family name (Breit) just like its done on the Firefox export. I have tried this on both Mac (Word 2011) and PC (Word 2010).

What is the problem here? Why does this happen?
  • If you export from FF you by default get the bibliography formatting. If you insert a note with the word plugin you get the formatting for in text notes, which, in fact, is supposed to have names as
    Firstname Lastname
    according to both MHRA and Chicago style guides.

If you click "insert bibliography" in Word (provided you installed the MHRA style with bib) I would expect you get the same formatting as the export from FF.
  • So the word citiation is correct with MHRA and Chicago with "Firstname Lastname"?

I have tried loading MHRA into the WYSIWYG CSL Editor http://csleditor.quist.de/csleditor/show/1/example-citation-style .
    But it says (as far as I can tell) that the citation (and bibliography) style is Lastname Firstname.
  • That editor is in alpha (or pre-alpha or so) - certainly you shouldn't rely on it for style testing.
    If you want to see for yourself you can use this
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
    for testing (paste in the URL bar like a link).

As for what's correct MHRA/Chicago - indeed, it's Firstname Lastname in footnotes - you don't have to take my word for it, both are documented extensively on various places on the web.

If you need to edit a style see here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

to change the name ordering you'll want to play with the
    name-as-sort-order
    option.
  • Okay, thanks for helping me with this as I could have surley found this out myself. ;)

As far as the Zotero testing pane goes I am still a little confused. For my example book it shows:

Single Citations
    Breit, Societas Europaea (SE) und Societas Cooperativa Europaea (SCE).

Multi Citations (all with position "first")
    Breit, Societas Europaea (SE) und Societas Cooperativa Europaea (SCE).

Bibliography
    Breit, Peter Theodor. Societas Europaea (SE) und Societas Cooperativa Europaea (SCE). LIT Verlag Münster, o. J.

So the footnote style is not shown here?
  • If you have a note style, the single/multi citations will show what foot/endnotes will look like.
  • You're switching styles around - stick with one single style until you sure you understand what's going on.
    The Chicago Note style (as opposed to Full Note and MHRA) only uses the short form of a citation - i.e. no publisher and nofirst name at all. That style is quite common in history.

If you try the other styles you'll get the full name.