Bibliometric ideas

I wonder about the role of Zotero in bibliometric and related activities. In particular, imagine (as I am now faced with) you are trying to characterize a body of work around a topic. I can use pubmed or google scholar or other sources to get me a "first kick" at the body of published work that is relevant, but little sense from those sources of which papers are most important.

Google scholar gives an a very important additional detail in noting who has cited a paper - a bibliometric measure of relevance if you will. I am sure that somewhere I can find the list of papers cited within a paper. Can we use the "related" datastructure in Zotero to represent this web of historical (papers cited) and prospective (papers which cite) linkages? Also, (and this gets outside of Zotero) one could imagine some way (graphviz perhaps?) to visually represent the web of citations, the density of links, etc.

Papers with lots of links would become central nodes in the network, peripheral papers have less linkages.etc...

Does this make any sense? I think I have seen this sort of thing once or twice over the years, but never a mechanism to automate this sort of powerful "what's central" sort of analysis.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Is this at all relevant to Zotero? Any reflections? Have I had too much egg-nog?

Is there some way to represent the "web" of dependencies from an article forward to those that cite it, and backward to those that it cites? The "related articles" feature seems to be a way to start...
  • I've wanted something like this too. Even more what I would like to see is the links between references within my own database, displayed as sort of a mind-map web so I can see that paper X cites Y and Z, but Y also cites Z.

It would be nice if "related" showed directionality - that is, if there were a field for "this article cites..." and "this article is cited by..." I think it would be pretty useful, and make the cross-linking/visualization a feasibility.
  • edited January 12, 2008
    It would be nice if "related" showed directionality - that is, if there were a field for "this article cites..." and "this article is cited by..." I think it would be pretty useful, and make the cross-linking/visualization a feasibility.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1317/semantic-relations/

Once we have a richer set of semantic relations, the sort of visualizations described above will be possible.

Feel free to help flesh out the list of possible relations on the wiki page linked to on that thread.