Expanded Notes, below standard citations.

Historically, citation formats were a balance between providing adequate information for verification and the need for brevity when working with paper. We still often publish in paper, and so still must maintain standard citation formats. But electronic media offer the option of giving publishers or readers more information.

For my potential publisher's ease in verification of my facts, I have been appending actual quotations, comments, and hyperlinks to specific pages below my standard citations. I use Word 2008, and paste each citation in a style I called, "ExpandNote." For paper publication, these can easily be deleted. For example: 1

1. Newton, Isaac, "A Letter of Mr. Isaac Newton," 1671, 5. [Standard citation.]
[Expanded note goes here, with quotes, hyperlinks, comments. e.g:]
"...where the mostions conspire, must press and beat the contiguous Air..." [Link to Newton's Letter 'Concerning His New Theory about Light and Colors']

An 'Append Expanded Notes" button, to include such a notes below citations, and a window in which to type them, would be great! Such notes need to 'stick' with their citation when documents are rearranged. They also should appear in a style distinct from Word's 'Endnote Text,' so they can easily be stripped from a document, for example, by a paper publisher, post verification.

Note: Word has a very hidden character associated with the paragraph mark at the end of each endnote in its 'Endnote Text.' Inserting paragraphs before 'Endnote Text's" paragraph mark, and then reformatting to the 'ExpandNote' style maintains this character at the end of the expanded notes. If I then move a sentence with an endnote to somewhere else in my document, the associated 'ExpandNotes' move with the endnote, correctly.