BibTeX document class for zotero item types "report" and "thesis"

There is no 1:1 match from the zotero item types "report" and "thesis" to a corresponding BibTeX document class.

The possibilities are:
report -> @techreport, @manual (currently always @techreport)
thesis -> @phdthesis, @mastersthesis (currently always @phdthesis)

The "thesis" item type contains a field "type" and "report" a field "report type". These could be taken into account by the BibTeX exported to determine which of the 2 possible document classes to export for each type. The current mapping could be the default and be used if the field is empty or ambiguous.

I realize this is not an optimal and very straightforward solution because of the ambiguity. Also I don't currently see how this behavior could best be documented.

I appreciate zotero will not "clutter" its item type system with an additional type that only exists in a particular export format.

Do developers / users support this idea?

See also this discussion: https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/35
  • It seems fine to do this for thesis: we could easily have a reg ex to match most cases of mastersthesis. Not as obvious for report. I don't know if it is intuitive to use the zotero type 'report' for manuals & I would imagine that 'report type' has much more variety than thesis type.
  • I agree it's not quite intuitive for 'report' and it covers more than @manual and @techreport. It's more of a workaround.
  • I have the same problem as kynan describes here: https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/35

I have a manual without author/editor in my collection and currently I need to manually adjust my BibTeX file every time I add a new item and export the collection. This is really annoying. I understand that the number of item types should not become too large, but I find it strange that a relatively common type of publication like this does not deserve its own type, given the large range of types that are already included.

If anyone knows of a workaround for the time being, I appreciate any information.