Report ID: 631532892

As directed, I'm posting an entry regarding a problem installing Zotero into OpenOffice. Target platform is running the following:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium
Firefox v4.0.1
OpenOffice v3.3.0
Zotero 2.1.7

Problem occurred after restarting Firefox v4.0.1 after going through the procedure to install Zotero OpenOffice.org Integration 3.5a1. Plug-in appears to have installed in Firefox okay, but kept getting an Alert window popping up with the header "Zotero OpenOffice Integration" and the body text "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice.org is closed, and then restart Firefox." I confirmed that neither OpenOffice or OpenOffice Quickstart were running. I tried this several times with the same results.

Checking the OpenOffice Extension Manager did show the plug-in listed, but flagged as having an error. I believe that there was a message indicating some type of Java issue at this point, but I currently can't locate that screen shot. After again removing the bad plug-in from OpenOffice and disabling the plug-in in Firefox, I next tried installing the 3.1b1 plug-in and that appeared to install fine and I was able to create some test documents with references inserted from Zotero. So far I have not been able to identify any particular issue that would prevent the 3.5a1 version from installing.

After installing the 3.1b1 plug-in, I went back into OpenOffice, opened the Extension Manager and clicked on a button labeled "Check for Updates...". This opened a window labeled "Extension Update". The "Available extension updates" pane of this window was empty and the "Description" pane displayed the message "No installable updates are available. To see all updates, mark the check box 'Show all updates'." Doing so updated this window so that the "Available extension updates" pane displayed the string "Zotero OpenOffice Integration", prefaced with a miniature Alert icon. The "Description" window now displayed the following four lines of text:

An error occurred:
Start tag expected, '<' not found
Line: 1
Column: 1

I may try uninstalling the old version of the plug-in and try installing the new version again to see if I can capture the Java error message. Note that I was able to install and run Zotero WinWord Integration 3.1 without any apparent problems.

For what it's worth, I'd just finished restoring this system from the ViewSonic restore DVD yesterday, so there is currently little installed on this machine that might interfere.

Any recommendations you might have regarding getting the current plug-in to install would be appreciated. As the system currently appears to be running okay with the old one it's not a critical priority, but I'd still like to figure out why it's behaving this way, if only to get a clue as to what other issues I might need to watch out for. If there is any other system information that you'd like me to post, just let me know.

Thanks for your help,

John