2.1.6.r9406 r9413 display error for number label

I just noticed that new releases (at least 2.1.6.r9406 and 9413) display

'n<sup>o</sup>' (without quotes)

when it should display 'n°' :

When I noticed the error:
- I uninstalled the r9406
- re-installed 2.1.6, saw it was OK
- installed the last release, which was then r9413, saw there was the same error as in r9406

Hoping it can be soon repaired
  • How was it in other 2.1.6r?
    There has been some changes in the way superscripting is handled by the processor. HTML <sup> tags won't be allowed anymore in the locales-xx-XX.xml files.
    In order to get the desired output, locales-xx-XX.xml (and csl style) must use Unicode superscript characters ( http://unicode.org/reports/tr30/datafiles/SuperscriptFolding.txt ).
    Locales-fr-FR.xml has already been updated however.

More details here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18074/edition-with-superscript/#Item_31
    and here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/issues/49
  • The updated locales-fr-FR.xml has been merged to 2.1 branch three days ago: https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/9393
    Then, that should work in last 2.1.6r9413 (I can't test here): if you're using <sup> tags in your own csl style, you should replace them.
  • I just can say it was OK in 2.1.6.r9295, 9319 and r9350.

I thank you for the links, that I read, but I certainly didn't understand everything.

I understand things have changed, but since I use the Locales-f-FR you have updated, what else should I do to get the n° back ?
  • If you're relying in your style on locales-fr-FR.xml, I'm suprised that you don't get the right output. One will have to confirm this... (I can't check it right now as I've no zotero installed at the moment)
  • Here is the style (when you'll have the opportunity of having a look on it) :

git://gist.github.com/1006396.git

Thanks
  • Your style is not at fault on this point.
    I checked the problem with zotero 2.1.6r9413: no problem except with csledit.xul which displays, indeed, <sup>o<sup>.
    I knew that csledit.xul wasn't up-to-date and forgot to ask you...
    Please try your style with the MSWord/Ooo plugin directly.
  • Thanks.

The notes with the MSWord plugin are OK.

Do you mean the next Zotero release will produce correct bibliographies as well ?
  • edited June 3, 2011
    Do you mean the next Zotero release will produce correct bibliographies as well ?
    Not sure to understand you.
    My point is that csledit.xul is broken for superscript: it can't handle superscript added through unicode.

The change (HTML sup to unicode) should be completely transparent for you (in the next release, yes).
  • I must confess I don't know where csledit.xul is used.

The problem for me is that when I created a bibliography from the Zotero panel, choosing the option "copier dans le presse-papiers", then pasting it to a word document, the n° didn't appear correctly, as it did before.

So I was quite upset not to be able to get a correct bibliography.

I made another try, creating a RTF file, this one is correct.

Is there any hope that the copy to clipboard will be repaired ?
  • Oh, sorry! I'm really surprised you don't know csledit.xul. That's the Zotero Reference Pane. Very useful tool!
    The Zotero Reference Test pane. Available by entering "chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul" in the Firefox address bar, this tool provides instant processing of CSL styles, using items selected in the local copy of Zotero.
    Anyway, what has to be noticed is that csledit.xul and quick copy/paste do not work with superscript. That should be fixed by the devs I think (at least for copy/paste).
    But as you confirm it, this works through the Word plugin.
  • Please excuse my ignorance. I am a sort of Monsieur Jourdain with Zotero.

I often use the Zotero Reference Test panel without knowing its link with csledit.xul !
  • ;-)
    No problem, I should have been clearer.
  • edited June 3, 2011
    This appears to be a bug in citeproc-js. I've fixed it in the latest branch build.
  • Thanks Dan. This works well now.
  • Much nicer now. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.