error: this.registry.citationreg.citationBId[c[0]] is undefined

I got this message when trying to insert a footnote into a word document. Something may be wrong with my account because I am having random issues on both of my computers. Help!
  • also, zotero is telling me that records that I have previously used to make footnotes are no longer in my library, and asking me if I want to replace them. So I grabbed the book from a website and created a record for it, then tried to insert it using the word plug in as a footnote and even though the book shows up in my library it does not appear in the pop-up window from which I choose records to insert as footnotes. This may have something to do with the fact that on my other computer syncing is not happening and firefox is locking up each time I try to do anything in zotero.
  • See my dialogue from yesterday labeled: Error #1124729528 for details one what is going on on my other computer. Is it possible my account is having problems?
  • Most of these issues seem to be fixed in the next version of Zotero. Either wait for the 2.1.7 release or install the branch xpi and revert back to regular Zotero once 2.1.7 comes out.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#zotero_client_dev_xpis
  • Ok I installed the branch xpi but I every time I try to do anything using the word plugin like insert a note or update my notes I get this message.

The cursor moves to a seemingly random note in my document and I get the following pop up message: This item no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item? Clicking no will delete the field codes for citations containing this item, preserving the citation text but deleting it from your bibliography. When I check my zotero library these items are always still there, right where they have always been.

Could this have anything to do with having updated my document to use 2.7.1?

Help!
  • no nead for the branch - if these issues are fixed they are fixed in 2.1.7.
    Upgrading shouldn't have changed anything, no.
    Have you tried to select a "substitute" for a couple of citations? It could be that you had a duplicated copy of one item and deleted one or something along those lines - just because an identical item is in your library that doesn't mean it's actually the one you told Zotero to use.
  • you told me to install the branch to fix my previous problems: "Most of these issues seem to be fixed in the next version of Zotero. Either wait for the 2.1.7 release or install the branch xpi and revert back to regular Zotero once 2.1.7 comes out.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#zotero_client_dev_xpis"

I selected a sub and then it let me insert a note, but when I selected the book and page number and hit ok it gave me this error again: "zotero experienced an error updating your document. this.registry.citationreg.citationById[c[0]] is undefined.

Do you mean non-zotero plug-ins in Word??
  • Ok so now it appears to be working fine except in this one document. I tried cutting and pasting everything from my current document into a new one but now when I insert a note it acts normal but the note doesn't show up on my document. the footnote just reads {citation}.

So is this a problem with a corrupted word document?
  • So is this a problem with a corrupted word document?
    likely, yes.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

And I told you to _either_ wait for 2.1.7 _or_ install the branch xpi and to revert back to the regular release once 2.1.7 comes out - which it did two days ago, so you shouldn't be using the branch xpi anymore.
  • I am experiencing the same errors, using 2.1.7 (no branch xpi).

"Item no longer exists in your Zotero database" error:
    I have a Word doc and frequently, when I add a citation, it points to the last instance of citation [1], which has not changed since last error (sometimes I haven't even used my browser since this error last occurred!), and the item is still in the Zotero library so I select it again. It accepts this as fine, until I go to add a different citation, and then I need to re-associate the citation with the record. So far it's only picked on this one record, which is cited multiple times, and it just chooses one of those citations to pick on. It is definitely NOT the case that I had multiple identical items and deleted one.

I am also getting the error in the title of this thread, after "correcting" the one citation and then trying to add the new citation. It shows me the Library and I can select an entry, but the dialogue seems to be dead or not allowing an "OK" response. The title error appears after selecting Cancel. Copying everything over to a new Word doc seems to temporarily address this.

I'm using Word 2008 for Mac 10.6, Zotero 2.1.7, Firefox 4.0.1, and the "ACM SIGCHI Conference Proceedings" citation style (thanks adamsmith).