Error shortly after starting sync

Hi. I tried disabling all add-ons, but am still getting an error message when I try to sync.

ID: 1462313260

Thanks.
  • what does the error say?
  • edited June 1, 2011
    JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.isFile]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 871}
    That's a generic error. Restart your computer and try again. If it still happens, try disabling any security software you're running.
  • Will do.
  • Restarted computer and disabled all security software. Still getting:

Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.isFile]
  • edited June 1, 2011
    Right-click on your Zotero data directory—the 'zotero' directory itself—and select Properties, and make sure "Read-only" isn't checked.
  • "Read-only" is checked. Uncheck it, I assume?
  • yes - obviously Zotero needs to be able to write to the directory to sync.
  • It is obvious. I can't imagine how it was checked in the first place.
  • I have tried several times to uncheck "read-only" but each time it reverts to "read-only" status. I also tried changing the "read only" status of each sub-folder and file within the directory, but the same thing happened. Getting same error, obviously.
  • edited June 1, 2011
    Windows does some weird things with that flag. Can't help you there, but that's your problem. Try above that directory.
  • Hi. I fixed the folder accessibility problem, but I'm afraid I still can't sync. (Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.isFile])

The problem seems to be with file syncing. I set the preferences to sync data only and everything went just fine. Any ideas? Thanks, Nick
  • Given that you're still getting the same error, what makes you say you fixed the problem? Are you positive that Read-only is now unchecked for all files?

Provide a Debug ID and I might be able to tell you the specific file in question, but it's highly unlikely that this is a problem in Zotero.
  • Yes, read-only is now unchecked for all files. The debug ID is D557558327.
  • OK, can't tell you the specific file, but this (and perhaps the "Read-only" problem originally) is likely due to something on your system—e.g., maybe the security software is still interfering, maybe there's something weird with the filesystem. The error it's getting isn't even for a write, just for testing whether a particular file is a file or a directory.
  • Thanks. I'll go back to my college's IT people and see if they can help me figure this out. After spending hours and hours trying to fix this, I'm fed up.