importing/exporting to sync between 2 computers

Hi, I'm trying run SA on 2 computers by exporting my library (named the current date) and then importing it on my other computer (work and home). However, when I import it, it shows the current date with the previous dates nested in it. This wouldn't be a problem, but I just noticed that the file size is doubling?? There is nothing in the most current date, besides older dates, and the oldest (first) date has all my different collections. Why is it duplicating all of the data? Is there a better way to sync 2 computers-- I've read about the data folder in firefox, is there something like this in SA??
Thanks!
Ryan
  • why wouldn't you just use syincing? The SA supports that. And yes, the data folder exists for SA - you should be able to find it the same way from the advanced tab of the preferences:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library
  • I've already filled up the free 100 mb of syncing space. I was also just curious because this seems like a pretty big bug, its duplicating files it shouldn't be. Thanks for the reply- to be sure, the data file had all notes and metadata right?

thanks again,
    Ryan
  • I don't quite understand what you are doing - but moving data between two computers using RDF export isn't recommended and if you're doing it repeatedly you'll get duplicates - that's not a bug.
    The data file is loss-less, yes (as opposed to RDF export).
    Data sync does not affect your storage quota, which just refers to syncing of attached files.
  • I guess I am confused on the datasync feature, do you have thread on it off hand? It isn't just the online storage feature?
    Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Okay, I read about this before, but didn't really see the use of it unless you're also syncing your files. It seems me the only utility is if you're using zotero to take a lot of notes on articles? It also keeps all the references too and is useful for making bibliographys etc?
  • Data sync makes your entire library appear on the other computer - including notes, metadata etc - the only thing missing are the attached files. So yes, you can use it for bibliographies etc.
  • So I just copied my entire "zotero" folder from my home PC, took it to work, placed my work computer 'zotero' folder on the desktop, deleted everything from my work library (this should make it be like a total restore right?), and put my home copy of 'zotero' in its place. When I open zotero, nothing shows up. It seems like this is the proper set of steps to do a restore, so why doesn't anything show up?

Thanks for your help adamsmith, I really appreciate it.
  • actually files are showing up, but they're not grouped into collections
  • screenshot? And try to be more detailed in your description - I have no idea what you mean by "files are showing up".
  • Sorry, I mean files are showing up I think from zotero doing data sync.
    This is what I did:
    -copied entire 'zotero' folder (including all the sqlite and storage files) from home PC
    -on work PC copied 'zotero' folder to the desktop, deleted everything out of the trash, unfiled, and my library
    -copied and pasted my home 'zotero' folder where my work one was
    -opened zotero program
    -nothing showed up

I have with me my RTF backup from my home PC and my entire 'zotero' folder w/storage and sqlite files. How do I make it so my work Zotero will now be the same as my home Zotero? I thought what I did would be like a "restore" and I could do this between my two computers to have all data and the actual files.
  • did you have firefox closed while doing all of this? (you should/must)
  • I'm using standalone and chrome. I had Zotero closed while copying and pasting the 'zotero' folder. It is pinned to my task bar though.
    Thanks again!
  • edited June 1, 2011
    when you have zotero show you its data directory from the preferences - what do you see?
    edit: ya sorry, I forgot you were on SA.
  • This is the file path it shows:
    C:\Users\Goff\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\iu5y4rv2.default\zotero

So I have been copying that 'zotero' folder
  • edited June 1, 2011
    You almost certainly just put the files in the wrong place or are copying the wrong files. We can't really debug this for you. Read this page:

http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
    on work PC copied 'zotero' folder to the desktop, deleted everything out of the trash, unfiled, and my library
    Don't do that. Just move the old 'zotero' out of the way and replace it.
  • so if I am doing it right, I move my work zotero folder, and replace it with the home one, when I open zotero it should look identical to my home one, right?
  • my guess would be though that you're moving the capital Z zotero folder (about in the middle of the file path) but should be moving the lowercase z zotero folder (at the end of the filepath), but this is really almost impossible to troubleshoot from the distance.
  • I am without a doubt moving the folder that contains the storage and sqlite files.

I don't understand how importing/exporting the library can cause data to be lost, this seems strange?
  • because data export has a different function than the copying of a database. A flat, linear export format (such as RDF or any other possible format) can never be the same as a full-fleshed database.
    RDF is perfectly fine if you want to pass a bunch of citations to a colleague, for example.

Instead of the entire Zotero folder you could try to just replace the sqlite and the storage folder.
  • If I just wanted it to keep all my files in one easy to transport place, take a few notes, and to use to make bibliographies, would using the RDF be okay? I guess I don't get the difference between a 'database' and what the RDF is/isn't.
  • edited June 1, 2011
    No. You'll lose the links to items in your documents.

This is what syncing is for, and that's what we recommend using. Either use syncing or transfer your library manually.
  • thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Could you tell me what you mean by links? I've been doing this way for a few days, not knowing that it is the incorrect way, and it seems like the notes I took are still there, along with files and collections, etc. I'm just wondering what I've been losing that I need to re-do now.
  • If you cite an item using one of the word processor plugins, export the linked items, import them on another computer, and try to edit the document there, you'll get errors that the items don't exist in your database—because they won't, as far as Zotero is concerned.
  • which means that unless you have been using the word plugin you haven't lost anything so far.
  • RDF also doesn't preserve Date Added/Modified times on items.