Can't save from external editor without closing zotero

Hi, I recently started using Bluebeam Revu for pdf markup (excellent program for this and other uses) but have run into a simple but annoying problem. I open item in zotero, choose view file in external viewer, make my markup etc but then when I go to save I get a can't save error:
"The document could not be published. The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\2r8qfly2.default\zotero\storage\B5BMPG2A\Pedrini et al. - 2006 - Transmembrane pressure modulation in h.pdf' because it is being used by another process."
This would be fair enough if I could just close the open tab in zotero - BUT this doesn't close the file, only closing down firefox completely allows me to save the file. It works but is a pain.
Has anyone found a better solution than this? In particular does the zotero standalone allow this (I haven't been brave enough to try the alpha yet)
Thanks
Matt
  • That's not a general Zotero issue - I've marked up files with an external viewer and saved them - there is a tiny chance that this is a regression, more likely it's not actually Zotero related. I wouldn't expect any different behavior with the standalone, no.
  • Thanks Adam, I think it is firefox as closing zotero within firefox doesn't solve it either. I don't know what you mean by 'a regression'. Can I ask whether your success in saving marked up pdfs while firefox + zotero were open was with firfox 4 or a previous version? (I am using 4). Thanks again. Matt
  • This would be fair enough if I could just close the open tab in zotero
    What open tab? Are you opening the file in a tab in Firefox using a plugin?

What version of Zotero are you using?
  • Zotero 2.1.6. Firefox 4.0.1. Bluebeam PFD Revu x64 9.2.0 Windows 7 64bit. By tab I mean the tabs at the top of the firefox window (where I commonly have several articles open at once). It doesn't seem to matter if I open the pdf in firefox first (using bluebeam as a plugin) or if I go straight to 'open in external viewer'. Either way I cannot save the marked up pdf until I close firefox. It would be a beautifully smooth way to mark up if this didn't happen. Matt
  • BTW - before someone points it out, I am talking about previously downloaded pdfs that are archived in zotero, not pdfs directly from the net. After closing firefox and then saving the file in the firefox folder (overwriting the original entry), I then reindex the item to update the cloud with the marked up version.
  • Side note: "Reindex" refers to full-text indexing, not syncing. There's no need to reindex modified PDFs to get them to sync back up to the server.
  • Thanks Dan - I didn't realise that (will test to make sure though).
    Matt