Empty files in download

Each time I manually sync my main library, when the progress bar appears, it shows a total of 974 files for download, every time. It ticks through each file, showing 0kb for download.

This list of repeatedly inspected files used to be smaller, about 100. At its current size, it takes a significant amount of time to complete on my (admittedly pokey) netbook, and I've begun to wonder whether it might be a sign of something amiss in my library or database. If this is normal behavior, no need to go any further. If not, here are the Report and Debug IDs from a sync run, with a screenshot of the sync in progress.

Debug ID: D31877100
Report ID: 111724357
Screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/screenshotyfm.png/

If grabbing that list of files is not necessary and can be avoided, it would be great to avoid the extra labor for both systems.

Frank
  • It shouldn't check every time—only if you upload a file from another computer in between syncs—but those are from missing local files, which it's looking for on the server.

Delete the missing files attachment items locally or figure out why they're not being uploaded from another computer.

(In the relatively near future there'll probably be a way to see what attachments have missing files.)
  • edited May 16, 2011
    Okay, that makes sense. To be sure I understand this correctly, the database has registered the existence of an attachment in the SQL, but file storage has not synced the file data itself, from whatever machine created the attachment. Would that be right?

Also, this could affect a group, couldn't it? So if I share group editing permissions with a few other users on a particular group, the failed file storage sync could have originated on the machine of any user with group editing privileges. Is that also correct (to be sure I have grasped the picture)?

(If I do understand the problem correctly, I should be able to identify the erroneous attachments without too much trouble.)
  • Yes, on all counts.

We might be able to optimize this a bit better even when there are lots of missing files, though.