Upgrading to Firefox 4.0 -- Should I get Snow Leopard or wait for OS Lion?

I run Zotero on Firefox 3.6.17 with the MS Word add-on on Mac OS 10.5.8. After looking into upgrading to Firefox 4.0, it looks like if I do that, the MS Word add-on won't work unless I also upgrade my system to OS Snow Leopard/10.6.x. The wrinkle is that supposedly Mac OS Lion is slated for release this summer.

In terms of Zotero's needs, should I buy Snow Leopard now or wait for Lion? Should Zotero run without a hitch on OS Lion? (As an add-on for Firefox I would assume that if FF runs on Lion, Zotero will.) If not, is there any reliable estimate to how long Zotero would be dependent on Snow Leopard?

I don't know much about the programming differences that Snow Leopard and Lion would call for, so I'm not sure if this question is even a material one. But it does seem silly to install Snow Leopard if I could just wait a few months and skip ahead to Lion, so I thought I'd ask before I buy anything.

Thanks much!
  • The expectation is certainly that Zotero would run without any problems on Lion, yes, for exactly the reasons you suspect it will. So unless you're very unhappy with your FF 3.6 I'd just stick with your 10.5 and wait for Lion.
  • Great, thanks so much for the prompt and helpful response!