Export RIS from Zotero - space missing in Author field

Hello,

When I export a notice with the RIS format, in the author field (A1), the space just after the comma disappears.

Here is an example :
TY - JOUR
ID - 1256
T1 - Bridging the gap between ecophysiological and genetic knowledge to assess the adaptive potential of European beech
JF - Ecological Modelling
M3 - 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2008.05.004
A1 - Kramer,K.
A1 - Buiteveld,J.
A1 - Forstreuter,M.
A1 - Geburek,T.
A1 - Leonardi,S.
A1 - Menozzi,P.
A1 - Povillon,F.
A1 - Schelhaas,M.J.
A1 - Teissier du Cros,E.
A1 - Vendramin,G.G.
A1 - van der Werf,D.C.
VL - 216
IS - 3-4
PY - 2008/09/10/

My Zotero version is 2.1.6

Thank you in advance
Sophie
  • I'm pretty sure this is correct according to the RIS specification: http://www.refman.com/support/risformat_tags_02.asp
  • I agree with you when I look at the examples.
    But there are spaces in the syntax just above : Lastname, Firstname, Suffix
    And punctuation rules specify that one space follows comma...

When I import the RIS file generated by Zotero in EndNote, spaces are missing in the Author field:
    Kramer,K.
    Buiteveld,J.
    Forstreuter,M.
    Geburek,T.
    Leonardi,S.

I'm surprised to be the only person troubled by this fact.
  • RIS is an interchange format for bibliographic data, so its correct punctuation is that stipulated in the format specification.

If Endnote doesn't import it correctly, there's not much we can do about that. Endnote is not known for having particularly stable or reliable import or export functionality. There may be ways to improve the import by using another import filter in Endnote, but again, that's not something I know much about.

If there is no way to get Endnote to correctly interpret proper RIS, I can probably provide you with a modified RIS exporter that will add a space, but I'd rather see this fixed on the Endnote side.
  • edited September 26, 2011
    I am also troubled by the space problem. Right now, I find I just keep re-typing stuff. I hope I can figure out how to set the format so that in the "Author" field I just type "Smith, George" and it shows up in bibliography as "Smith, George" ... when I was typing the author names in manually, that was working. But once I started importing from my university's library catalog, more fields appeared and it stopped putting the first names in my library list. :(

This may be the fault of Yale's own catalog listings, as I see that the auto-import Zotero citation puts "George Smith," whereas clearly the library catalog's own software recognizes "Smith" as the last name and "George" as, well, at least as NOT the last name. Hmmph.
  • tcwing - this looks entirely unrelated to this thread, which is about Zotero's RIS export_output_
    If you're getting wrong data into Zotero from a translator start a new thread in the site translator category of the forum and include a sample URL.