Error message while syncing. What can be a solution?

Dear Zotero team,

thank you for your great programme Zotero. In our workgroup we are continously using a Zotero group library and it is (until yesterday) just working perfectly.

One of the five coputers has problems syncing since yesterday. All other computers don't have a problem. So far, we could not figure out what the reason could be.

Zotero gives following error message:
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 139" data: no] [QUERY: UPDATE tags SET name=?, type=?, dateAdded=?, dateModified=?, clientDateModified=?, libraryID=?, key=? WHERE tagID=?] [ERROR: columns libraryID, name, type are not unique]

I also submitted a bug report: 1054432551

What can we do? How can we solve the problem? Thanks a lot in advance

The problematic computer runs under Windows XP, Firefox 3.6.13. with Zotero 2.1.6
  • The error you received may be due to a low-level Firefox bug with large downloads we've seen elsewhere.

Try going to about:config in the Firefox address bar, look for javascript.options.tracejit.chrome, and double-click it to set it to false. Then restart Firefox and try the sync again.

If the sync goes through, you should be able to reset that setting to true in about:config. (If you don't, Firefox will run a bit slower.)
  • Hi Dan, we did what you advised, but unfortunately it did not solve the sync problem.

It still says:
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 139" data: no] [QUERY: UPDATE tags SET name=?, type=?, dateAdded=?, dateModified=?, clientDateModified=?, libraryID=?, key=? WHERE tagID=?] [ERROR: columns libraryID, name, type are not unique]

Meanwhile, we updated Firefox to the most recent version 4.0.1. It did not help either.

Also, adding a dummy tag and removing the tag again (that was mentioned in another forum thread) did not help.

What else could we try? Thanks.
  • edited May 12, 2011
    Provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that produces the error.
  • The debug ID is: D560220778

Interestingly, a colleague reported that since yesterday, also her computer (Computer No.2) has sync problems with the same group libary. I assume that it is the same problem. However, on my computer (Computer No. 3) has no problem at all syncing (of course the chances made at Comp.1 and Comp2 are not visible).

She gets on her computer following error:
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 139" data: no] [QUERY: UPDATE tags SET name=?, type=?, dateAdded=?, dateModified=?, clientDateModified=?, libraryID=?, key=? WHERE tagID=?] [ERROR: columns libraryID, name, type are not unique]

Her bug report: 1230067503
  • Can you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and send the Upload ID to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread? You can ignore the download link the tool provides. Don't post the Upload ID publicly.
  • We're looking into reproducing this, but in the meantime you can probably fix it by modifying or removing the tags in your database that I've sent you via e-mail. It looks like changes were made to it in multiple locations that are causing a sync error.
  • Dear Dan, thank you very much for having had a look at the database and your email.
    I tried the work-around which you proposed. Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. But the error messages are now different:

What did I do?
    I tried to solve the problem by first renaming the tags USA and United States. This did not change anything
    I deleted the tags USA and United States. This changed something: I was spinning long time and started then syncing. It found 18 conflicts (which did not have anything to do with the above-mentioned tags) and it tried to sync local and remote versions of tags. However, then it showed the exclamation mark "error while syncing". The report ID is: 1409932777.

Then I restarted Firefox and everything happens again. 18 conflicts, tag sycing and exclamation mark.

Sometimes the whell spins for ages (there weren't many changes made anywhere. Syncing can't take long), but all other times, everything happens again like described above.

What else could we try? Thanks!
  • Can you provide another Debug ID?
  • Interestingly, the problem is solved now. It took very long and I actually don't know why it is working now.

Yesterday, I tried three times to get the debug ID (on computer no. 1), but it always came to over 700,000 lines and took about three hours each try. Zotero was unable to submit the debug ID and Firefox was unable to display it. The syncing problems were always the same as decribed in my last comment.

The fourth time, however, it went through and was able to sync everything. I tried the same on computer no. 2 and the syncing was unsuccessful twice and also took about two hours each. The third time worked out there, too.

Then I got a syncing problem also on computer 3 (which never had one before), but the second try already worked.

Result: Everything is now working perfectly again. Dan, thank you very much for your kind help and assitance!