Zotero reports field code corresponding to citation has been corrupted

Error report sent.

I'm using Zotero in French. In a very large document which I have come back to edit after a break of a few weeks, any attempt to add a new citation causes existing citations to be reported as corrupt.

The text of the error message in French is:
"
Le code de champ Zotero correspondant à cette citation, lequel indique
à Zotero quel document représente cette citation dans votre
bibliothèque, a été corrompu. Voulez‐vous sélectionner à nouveau le
document ?

Cliquer "Non" effacera les codes de champ pour les citations
comportant cet élément, préservant ainsi le texte de la citation mais
l'effaçant potentiellement de votre bibliographie.
"

I would translate the first part of this as:
" The Zotero field code corresponding to this citation, which indicates to Zotero which document in your library this citation represents, has been corrupted. Would you like to select the document again?"

If I reselect the document, Zotero moves on to the next citation and reports that too as being in error.

Since this document contains many hundreds of citations, I decided to close the document and look at my Zotero library. All appears to be well with it; if I create a new document, I can make citations without problems.

However, when I go back to the troublesome document, I get exactly the same problems all over again; thus I end up with this situation:

(D. Kelly 2006)(D. Kelly 2006); (Teevan et al. 2006)(Teevan et al. 2006) - in other words, the references are duplicated.

I'm using Word 2010 on Windows 7 64-bit. Zotero version is 2.1.6. Firefox is version 4.0.1

What must I do to overcome this problem? Thanks!
  • edited May 10, 2011
    Have you been through the steps for debugging broken documents?
  • Thank-you - I was not previously aware of that advice.

The step after which Word and Zotero were again in harmony was step 4, "Open the copied file and check if you get the error after switching to a different bibliography style."
  • Great to hear it's come right. The support section of zotero.org has gotten a little cluttered, but a team is at work on reorganization, as we speak.
  • actually afaik right now we're mainly re-ordering the developer section of the site - which is getting quite good I think. But any thoughts on where to place links or information in the general support are always appreciated.
  • Oh, sorry about that, ever the source of confusion. Carry on ...
  • edited May 11, 2011
    @fbennett: you're correct. The dev section (IMHO) can still use ssome new content, but the reorganization is pretty much complete. We've recently started looking at how to reorganize the user support section of the wiki.