JStor?

I'm sorry to report that JSTOR has stopped working for me. I get the standard "Could not save item, check translators" popup when I click the zotero address bar icon, and if I try and export the RIS file, I get a download dialogue (which reports that it is a application/x-research-info-systems file).

I have firefox 4.0, zotero 2.1.6, and the latest translators installed. Not sure how to troubleshoot this, but happy to help if someone can make any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jem
  • Ah, I just thought to check the firefox error console and there are some interesting errors:

Error: browser is not defined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/proxy.js
    Line: 411

Error: syntax error
    Source File: moz-nullprincipal:{3d86f1b7-28fb-45df-9029-5022a6fdfc78}
    Line: 1, Column: 1
    Source Code:
    Provider: JSTOR http://www.jstor.org

Error: syntax error
    Source File: moz-nullprincipal:{283984cb-ac6f-4f92-9b65-8331b3b2ce02}
    Line: 1, Column: 1
    Source Code:
    Provider: JSTOR http://www.jstor.org

Error: [Exception... "'No translator found for handled RIS or Refer file' when calling method: [nsIStreamListener::onStopRequest]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]

Does this mean anything to anyone?
  • works fine for me - please post a URL -
    both exactly what you have in the URL bar (if you want to you can xxx out your institution, but that's not necessary for security, just for anonymity) and the stable JSTOR URL.
  • Hi, thanks for replying.

This is what is in my address bar:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/2505301

I'm not sure what you mean by another URL. Some of the other databases on my campus go through a proxy, but JSTOR seems to be direct (perhaps IP based?)

If it is relevant, apparently the institution is running an Innovative Interfaces Inc. proxy, for which I have a manual proxy line entered into Zotero and which has been working fine for some time now.

Jem
  • edited May 3, 2011
    Erp, and now it works. A momentary outage perhaps?

However, the RIS export still presents a download dialogue. I will try again in a while and report back if it continues to fail.

Jem
  • So the addressbar export icon in JSTOR is still working fine, but a RIS file export pops up a download dialogue. I'm not sure if this is a translator issue, or if there is something else wrong somewhere. Any pointers appreciated.

I'm (now) running firefox 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.10

Thanks,
    Jem
  • no that's probably because of how they serve the RIS export - but it's not really an issue when you have the translator (i.e. URL bar icon) working is it?
  • Not an issue at all as long as the translator works. It seemed to me that since the mime type was correct (reported as application/x-research-info-systems in the download dialogue) it should just work, and its handy to have if the translator does flake out for whatever reason. But as I said, not really an issue.