Group syncing - no other memebers can sync

Trying to have 3 members of the group sync to my group library with 1 item in it.
For 2-3 days now - none have succeeded. Sync icon just spins.

BTW - one member was able to sync about a week ago, so his account should be setup OK I guess.

Also don't know if there is any relation but about 80% of the time when I click on "Group Library" under "My Groups" I get the response: "Error fetching groups. Try again in a few minutes."
  • We can't really debug this in the abstract. They'd need post to this thread or we'd have to know their usernames.

Given the number of deletions you made, it could be a large download even if the group is mostly empty now, so they should make sure they're using Firefox 4, which fixes some problems with large downloads in earlier versions.
  • edited April 29, 2011
    Usernames and status:

bl_refs - I think its the first time syncing - though not sure

fraserjmoss - first time syncing, never had old database

rrg8 - had the old database, but now is clear, was cleared with reset from server
  • They need to be running Firefox 4. If they're still having trouble, they should post here.
  • edited April 29, 2011
    bl_refs and rrg8 are running FF4.

I am the guy handling these issues for our lab, they don't have time for this type of stuff. I'm setting it up and making it work, before handing it to them to use, these are my first 3 trial users before rolling it out the rest of the lab.

If you want I can post under their names, thought it would easier to do it all in 1 thread.
  • Syncs can't take days—even when something is broken, they can't take more than a few hours—so they should restart Firefox and try again, and you should post here when they do.
  • OK - then why does the icon keep spinning and spinning - why doesn't it stop and generate a useful error.

bl_refs is syncing NOW.
  • rrg8 is syncing NOW
  • I see no sign of recent activity from either of them.

Can you provide a Debug ID for the first few minutes of a sync attempt (after a restart of Firefox) from one of their computers?
  • edited April 29, 2011
    bl_refs
    The Debug ID is D1951147798

Also I didn't clear it yet - so if you need more its still running. I'll gen another ID.
  • bl_refs
    The Debug ID is D1283599681.

Here is a longer one - I'm leaving for the weekend. Stopping FF now. Pick this up monday.
  • edited April 29, 2011
    I logged in on our iMac running OSX 10.5 and firefox 4 tonight and acquired the group library boron_lab containing 1 reference
  • This is a complicated one, resulting from a rare confluence of factors (including what seems to be a Firefox bug that's preventing there from being a proper error message), but it should be partly fixed now.

We'll be making additional adjustments to both the client and server to address these issues going forward, but in the meantime, restarting Firefox if the sync icon seems to be spinning for more than a couple hours is the best workaround. (Most syncs complete much more quickly—usually within seconds—but if they take longer than a couple hours something is definitely amiss.)
  • OK - I'm in Windows now with FF 4.0
    The sync partially worked. It created the group library, but it didn't copy the reference over.

I've restarted and tried again. It seems the first sync after a FF restart, does something quickly and finishes (that's where the group lib came from). Subsequent syncs, without a restart, just spin.
  • I've put in a workaround on the server that should avoid triggering the Firefox bug that's resulting in constant spinning in your case. Restart Firefox and try again.
  • Still not working.

bl_refs on Windows
    1st sync attempt after FF restart - short, ~10 seconds and stops, but there are no references. 2nd attempt spins forever.

bl_refs on Mac.
    1st sync - ever - (FF 4.0) gets group entry, but again no refereces.
    2nd attempt - spins short and quits - but no references
  • dale_huffman account added 2 new references to group library

When bl_refs syncs on Mac - I got the 2 new references, but not the original reference.

Just created new account on Windows with name bl_refs, trying to sync as I type this, so far spinning for about 5 minutes
  • bl_refs from Mac - added another reference. It sync'd OK to group lib.

dale_huffman on Linux was able to sync OK, see new ref.

bl_refs on Windows - FF locked up hard shortly after bl_refs sync'd the added item? Coincidence???
  • Correction - after the hard lock for about 5 minutes, bl_refs on Windows was able to sync ALL references.
  • If you're still having trouble, just delete the group library and start again.
  • The library is carrying around a huge number of deletions in its history, which currently are sent to the client (in case it's not a new database and the deletions need to be processed). These won't be a problem for incremental syncs, but initial syncs will take a little while because of this—and, yes, will lock up Firefox briefly.

We may be able to optimize this in the future, but that's the situation for now.