Apostrophe display error

I am using Zotero Standalone version 2.1a3.

When inserting a citation into Microsoft Word that contains an apostrophe in the reference, it will display in Word as a box symbol rather than the apostrophe.

For example, the item in Zotero is references as O'Neill, John (Author)
Inserting citation into a Word document, I choose this item in the zotero window and click OK.
The citation in the Word document displays as: (O[]Neill 2008)

Note: square brackets are trying to represent a square where the apostrophe should be.

This problem occurs using either Chicago or Harvard referencing styles (I haven't tried any others). It DOES NOT occur when using Zotero for Firefox.
  • are you sure the underlying data is the same? An apostrophe (or any other special symbol) may look different, but these types of things are often due to some type of encoding error - try re-typing the name in Zotero SA to see if that changes anything.
    If you're using the same database and citation for Zotero FF and Zotero SA disregard this (but let us know).
  • Thanks for a quick response.

I have tried re-typying the name in Zotero SA (I also thought it may have been inserted from a pdf which may sometimes cause this) but this made no difference.

I am in fact using the same database and citation for Zotero FF and Zotero SA, and they are both synced.

I posted this comment as I thought it may be related to a coding issue within Zotero SA. Sorry but I don't know how to check that sort of thing. Could be worth checking for next update of Zotero SA.

Otherwise, if there is no issue with the underlying program, maybe there is something else I'm doing wrong??
  • edited April 28, 2011
    I think that Zotero SA may be using an earlier version of the CSL processor, which did have problems in this area. If that intuition is right, the problem should go way when the SA build is next updated (it's lagging behind the mainstream version at the moment, as the core team is concentrating on getting the mainstream version in good shape for the next phase of development -- normal treatment for an alpha release, which Zotero SA is at present).