Citation styles all vanished

I used to have a bunch of citation styles loaded and the project I am working on is a MS Word 2007 document linked to the Cell citation style. Today I found that when I go to insert a style in this paper or in a new document, I get the dialog box which asks which stile I want to use. My only options are now "American Medical Association," "Amarican Psychological Association 6th Edition", "American Political Science Association (dev)", and "American Socialogical Association".
When I look in my zotero> styles folder, all of the styles I had installed previously are there, but somehow zotero isn't accessing them or something.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting my citations up and running again? I am happy to provide additional information on request. Thanks.
  • what happens if you (re-)install some of the other styles?
    Also, can you access any other styles in the test pane
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul ?
  • adamsmith,
    thanks for your fast reply.
    I can not access any stiles in the test pane. Not even the four American Ones.
    I have not been able to install any styles. I have tried (gear icon) > preferences> cite > styles > (+) and then I click on a style saved into my zotero folder. I get the popup "Install ____" where ___ is whatever style I want to install. If I click ok, the dialog box closes and nothing happens. If I click get additinal styles, I can download new styles but not start using them.
  • OK, do two things, in this order:
    1. Make a copy of the style folder and put it somewhere safe - you won't need it yourself, but we've been having an increasing number of these issues since 2.1 and I hope that maybe Dan or Simon would be willing to take a look - they might ask you to send it, but I'm not sure.

2. Then "Reset Translators and Style" in the advanced tab of the zotero preferences - this will fix this with very high likelihood, though you'll have to re-install the non-default styles from the repository.
  • Actually, first provide a Report ID for attempting to install a style.
  • adamsmith,
    I see sepereate buttons for "Reset Translators" and "Reset Styles". Should I do both?

Dan Stillman,
    I am not getting an error message for attempting to install a style. However for javascript errors zotero provides me with the follwoing ID

Thanks all.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID, with "Enable after restart" checked, for a Firefox startup through loading of the Styles pane?
  • (I'm going to leave you in Dan's much more capable hands - eventually you'll likely be able to fix this using the "reset styles" button, but it would be very much appreciated if you first take the time to help troubleshoot this by following Dan's instructions).
  • Dan,
    D627828771
    I'm going to wait for your go-ahead to reset stiles.
    Additional fun fact: Every time I try to add a style, that style vanishes from my zotero styles folder.

adamsmith,
    thanks for your help
  • I just realized I didn't follow your instructions correctly. Here's the error report after a restart followed by trying to install a style from my styles folder.
    D1992254623
  • Every time I try to add a style, that style vanishes from my zotero styles folder.
    What do you mean by this? As in, when you try to re-add a style that already exists?

In any case:
    invalid XML tag syntax
    Your "Cell Journal" style appears to be corrupt. Delete it from the 'styles' directory and restart Firefox.
  • Yep, that seems to work. And indeed I had modified my Cell Journal Style.
    Now I guess I'll see if I get this same problem next time I try to modify that file. Thanks for your help.
  • ohnoplus - it's OK to modify styles, many people do - you must have done something wrong:
    Make sure to validate your style before installing it:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles#validation
  • ok, will do next time
    thanks for the link