Expand Use of "Archive" or "Loc. in Archive" fields in Chicago full-note-with-bib style

Some "Item Type" (e.g., Presentation, Book) first-reference citations in Chicago full-note-with-bib style currently do not present the "Archive" or "Loc. in Archive" fields; some "Item Type" (e.g., Presentation) do not even have the capability to enter the latter fields. Almost any "Item Type" may be found in an archive, and it would be helpful to have those fields available for entry and to allow them to print for all "Item Type." The present, standardized method of "Loc. in Archive" preceding "Archive" maintains for the new "Item Type" formats. I realize some of this request also impacts Zotero library edit window in Firefox, but it makes sense to tie that to the presentation and formatting request. Thank you.
  • As I'd told you in the other thread we'd want some examples how and where this is needed. I have a hard time seeing how a presentation can be in an archive (though, of course, I could be wrong) - but e.g. a transcript of a speech found in an archive would seem to me to be a manuscript and note a presentation.
  • How about an unpublished video or audio recording of a presentation, held in an archive?
  • Now I understand what you meant.

I find in the Weaver's Association Archives, in a folder marked "20xx Convention Presentations," the draft of John Doe's presentation about "Underwater Basket Weaving" delivered on May x, 20xx at the Eclectic Society's annual convention in Boston. If the Eclectic Society later published a Journal with Doe's presentation in it, that presentation, revised for print, has now become a "Journal Article," and I would choose the published remarks in the journal over the presentation draft. If the latter is the only source for Doe's remarks from that presentation, I believe the most appropriate way to document the context of my citation is as presentation.

Regarding "Books" and "Book Sections," understand that my recent research has been in records of closed secondary schools and junior colleges. I have found published books, usually a headmaster's memoirs or yearbooks, often from vanity publishers with limited runs and not in libraries willing to release them through inter-library loans. I also need to document published booklets, usually catalogues and biennial bulletins. Among available "Item Type," "Book" best describes these items.
  • edited April 26, 2011
    I find in the Weaver's Association Archives, in a folder marked "20xx Convention Presentations," the draft of John Doe's presentation about "Underwater Basket Weaving" delivered on May x, 20xx at the Eclectic Society's annual convention in Boston.
    Document or Manuscript, with a note on the details. It is a text, after all.
    If the Eclectic Society later published a Journal with Doe's presentation in it, that presentation, revised for print, has now become a "Journal Article," and I would choose the published remarks in the journal over the presentation draft. If the latter is the only source for Doe's remarks from that presentation, I believe the most appropriate way to document the context of my citation is as presentation.
    No, it doesn't "now become": I'd treat them as two distinct items.

Aside: it'd be possible to model these sorts of relationships, but would result in a significantly more complex application.
    Regarding "Books" and "Book Sections," understand that my recent research has been in records of closed secondary schools and junior colleges. I have found published books, usually a headmaster's memoirs or yearbooks, often from vanity publishers with limited runs and not in libraries willing to release them through inter-library loans. I also need to document published booklets, usually catalogues and biennial bulletins. Among available "Item Type," "Book" best describes these items.
    There's already archive fields for Book.

So what's the problem?
  • BTW, can someone look at what's going on with forum rendering? If I go to an anchor within a forum page, the top gets cut off.
  • The current Chicago style doesn't print the archive information for books - it's not hard to change that for a local copy of the style, but I'm weary of changing that globally - if you want instructions, bobanello, let me know.

@ajlyon - that's an audio recording, which does have an archive field.
  • edited April 26, 2011
    There was a comment that there are archive fields for books, book sections, journal articles. <adamsmith> correctly noted that "Chicago style" doesn't print the archive information. Some limited distribution literary journals, school newspapers, and even books are found only in archives. These types of publications are a major source of my research. Yes, <adamsmith>, I need those instructions. Thank you.
  • edited April 26, 2011
    I think I made the proper .csl change to http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-fullnote-bibliography.

I retitled it:
    <title>Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography, plus expanded archives)</title>
    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-fullnote-bibliography-exparchive</id>;
    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-fullnote-bibliography-exparchive"/>

In <macro name="access-note">, I changed: <else-if type="article-magazine" match="none">.

In <macro name="access">, I changed: <else-if type="article-magazine" match="none">

Can you recommend any other changes to that .csl?
  • for general instructions on small changes in styles see here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

Specifically you'll find in the CMS full-notes style two relevant sections: this for the bibliography:

<else-if type="book thesis chapter article-journal article-newspaper article-magazine" match="none">
    <text macro="archive"/>
    </else-if>

and this for notes:
    <else-if type="book thesis chapter article-journal article-newspaper article-magazine" match="none">
    <text macro="archive-note"/>

(they're in macros called "access" and "access-note" respectively.
    in both cases, delete all the item types for which you _do_ want archive data displayed from the list. That's it.
  • wonderful - you found it yourself. You're fine, there's nothings else to change.
  • edited April 27, 2011
    @ajlyon - that's an audio recording, which does have an archive field.
    I don't really want to get off-topic here, but a non-published audio recording of an event that is primarily a presentation fits Presentation better-- it will soon have the event-place field, it has a meeting name, etc. Similarly, a stenogram of a presentation is complex-- is it a manuscript? Or does it -- an unpublished faithful recording of the event -- better fit "Presentation"? For my purposes, I tend to focus on the content over the medium.
  • Archival info for book and article item type have been excluded from citations when repository and archive were the same field in Zotero so not to include library catalog info for books. This has been fixed for a while, so we should go ahead and include all archive/archive location for all item types for Chicago.