Citations broken, unknown reason, possibly related to upgrade to 2.1.5 or 2.1.6

My citations have basically stopped working. I can't edit them and some of them are in the wrong format. When I try to do anything to them, I get a message that says "this.registry[id] is undefined". I'm using Word 2003 on Vista and Zotero 2.1.6.
  • Do you have track changes turned on in your word processor?
  • This sounds like a problem with the target document. Does inserting citations in a fresh document work normally?

This error can only occur if there is an attempt to disambiguate an item that has not been registered in the processor. This should never occur in normal operation, which leads me to suspect a problem with the document. If new documents are broken as well, we'll need to probe more deeply.
  • Yes, I can insert citations into a new document.

Is there any way to fix the existing document?
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • As adamsmith says.

I hope you're able to identify the source of the trouble by going through the debugging steps. In any case, I'll be interested in hearing what you find.
  • The debugging instructions worked. I saved the file as a copy, which fixed it. Thanks for your help.