Best way to share database with anohter zotero user?

What is the best way to let another zotero user have access to (and sync with) my
own database?
  • some type of syncing - but you'd have to explain in more detail what exactly your goal is.
  • I have built my own database. My zotero login user name is "aaa". Now, another zotero user "xxx" would like to join me in my work and work with the identical database ín a fully collaborative manner. I do not dare use "Reset" for this. Early on, I explored the "Reset" trick but got reprimanded by a zotero expert... Is there another way?
  • there's is no reason you'd need reset for that - I don't know what the "Reset Trick" refers to, but that option is for troubleshooting if you know (or are told) what to do, not for solving an everyday issue.

Two options: Either create a group and copy all of the items in the library to the group, then share that with user xxx - that would be the standard solution.
    Or share your sync information (i.e. login and password) with users xxx - the latter would be more complicated if xxx also has his own library and you may not be comforatble with that idea.
  • OK. Thanks. I will explore these options and see which is best for our purposes.
  • I don't understand - there would appear to be no options for simply sharing a database with someone? Where are the export features? The options for copying to a group? I'm using the web client.
  • There is no such thing as "the web client"
    Zotero is software that exists both as a Firefox add-on and as a standalone program. Both of those export to about a dozen different formats, and they allow you to copy items or collections to a group etc.

You can transfer your Zotero items to a server via sync and then you have basic viewing and editing capabilities on zotero.org but that's nowhere close to a full Zotero version. More features for the online version - specifically export - are forthcoming, but it's never going to replace local Zotero clients.