Tags entered prematurely

I am experiencing a problem with tagging, in which as I start typing a tag, the first letter typed is added as a tag (without hitting enter!) and the rest of the input is ignored. This is particularly common (ie: happens about 50% of the time) if trying to add tags very quickly. I have discovered that waiting a considerable amount of time after selecting an item seems to reduce the probability of this.

Steps to reproduce:
1. make sure the Tags tab is selected
(next steps performed as quickly as possible)
2. select a new item
3. press Add in the Tags panel
4. start typing in the text field that appears

Expected result: Text is entered into the text field; any tags that begin with that text are shown as a pull-down
Actual result: The first letter (always just the first letter) of what is typed is immediately added as a tag; the rest of the input is ignored; no pull-down is shown

Recommended fix: right now, a new tag is added from whatever is in the text input field if either (1) Add is pressed again, or (2) enter is hit, or (3) the focus moves away from the text field (either by making a text selection anywhere, or selecting a different item). I would propose that the third of these be removed; tags typed in a text field but NOT explicitly confirmed by pressing enter or starting a new tag should not be added. A malfunction in that mechanism (perhaps in where Zotero thinks the focus is?) is probably the cause of this bug, but I believe it is a mis-feature anyway and should be removed.

Versions: Firefox 3.5.5, Zoterro 2.0.9, Gentoo Linux, KDE
  • This is a Linux (maybe WM/DE? maybe Mozilla?) bug that I'm having a mess of a time finding the report for, but you should be able to switch quickly to a different window and back, and this will go away. I use alt-tab to switch to another active window and back, and this issue, which affects all fields, and sometimes even ones outside of Zotero, goes away.
  • ajlyon - thanks for looking at this!

"which affects all fields, and sometimes even ones outside of Zotero" - but I've never seen this with other fields in zotero or mozilla. it's only tags in zotero. how would it affect other text fields, they'd lose focus?

I still think that losing focus on a new tag text field should drop that tag, not add it as-is. It's like if you were typing in the search box in google in one window, then switched to another window, that would run your search? that would be counter-intuitive.