suppress author (of book chapter) mistakenly suppresses editor(s) too

I just updated to 2.1.6 from version 1.x, and have encountered a new problem with how the suppress author button functions.

I'm using footnotes (Chicago style), and occasionally use "suppress author" when I cite multiple works by the same author in a single footnote. (This allows me to include only the author's last name, as per CMS 14.30).

Since I updated, the suppress author button also suppresses the name of the editor (though not the comma that precedes it), generating this:

"Paul and Greco-Roman Education," in Paul in the Greco-Roman World: A Handbook, (Harrisburg, Pa.: Trinity, 2003), 198–208.

instead of this:

“Paul and Greco-Roman Education,” in Paul in the Greco-Roman World: A Handbook, ed. J. Paul Sampley (Harrisburg, Pa.: Trinity, 2003), 198–208.

Can this be fixed?
  • Yes. It's not a Zotero issue, but a problem with how the processor handles the suppress-author request. I'm currently working on a complete rewrite of the processor code that handles name formatting. I should be done with that within a week or so, and I'll include this fix in the processor release that incorporates the changes.
  • I completed the rewrite this morning, and the new code, when it is released and finds its way into the next or a subsequent release of Zotero, will suppress only the author variable.
  • I just noticed this on my documents, and I may need to manually change numerous citations if it is not fixed soon. Do you have an ETA?

Thanks,
    Miryam
  • edited July 11, 2011
    this fix is included in Zotero 2.1.8 (actually, probably an earlier version like 2.1.7, but in any case it's included in the latest release) - make sure you have the most recent version and then describe the issue in detail again to make sure we're dealing with the same thing.
  • I have the latest version, but it's still doing the same thing - I even "unsurpressed" and "resurpressed" to be sure that was what was causing it. I'm running the Microsoft Word plugin 3.1.1.
  • Please let me know if you need any further information from me - I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem with the latest version of Zotero.
  • I'll double-check the processor's behavior on this.
  • Thank you - it is much appreciated.
  • Yes, I'm still having this problem too, running Zotero 2.1.8 and MacWord Integration 3.1.3.
  • I can confirm that suppress-author is not working as advertised in the processor. Will have it a fix in place within a day or two.
  • This has been corrected, in processor release 1.0.192, which should feature in the next release of Zotero. Sorry for the premature declaration that it had been fixed, and resulting consternation.
  • Is there an ETA for the next release? I have to submit my dissertation soon, and I need to know whether to fix everything manually or if the release will be out in time.

Thanks,
    Miryam
  • you can switch to the branch xpi temporarily if the release doesn't come in time. There have been very few changes in the client, so this will be perfectly safe. For convenience I'd hold out until a week or so before you have to submit.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#zotero_client_dev_xpis
  • (It looks like the 1.0.192 processor hasn't been added to the trunk yet, but it should go in reasonably soon.)