Pdfs from hard drive to Standalone Zotero

The attached pdfs in my Zotero library (in my hard drive) do not transfer to the Zotero standalone application. I get the message "The attached file could not be found". Zotero's website says: " ... the Zotero Standalone shares a data directory with Zotero for Firefox by default, so any items saved via the Firefox extension are saved in Standalone, and vice versa."

Does it mean that I need to first transfer (sync) my pdfs to Zotero's server? Is there a way to transfer the pdfs from my hard drive to Zotero Standalone without having to upgrade my account? Thanks.
  • And you can access them from Zotero in Firefox?

Can you provide a Debug ID for a file opening attempt?
  • Are you sure you're using the same data directory and you didn't just sync your metadata into Standalone from the server? Check the data directory from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences and see if it's the same as the one Zotero for Firefox is using.
  • I checked it and the data directories are different. For some reason, Standalone gets the information from other directory from my hard drive which stores all items, notes, word documents, but not pdfs. It's like a reduced version of the real Zotero in Firefox. I mean, you can see the pdfs as attached files on Standalone, but when you click on them you get the message "The attached file could not be found".

The field "Use Firefox profile directory" is checked by default. I think clicking on "Custom" and directing Standalone to the correct directory will solve the problem. Thanks for your fast reply.