startup error - Database upgrade error

Hello, first here is the jsconsole error:
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.rollbackTransaction]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 525" data: no] [ERROR: cannot rollback - no transaction is active]
Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
Line: 573

General description:- I have a warning icon over the zotero icon in the status bar. When clicked it returns the message "Database upgrade error".

Firefox 3.6.16, Zotero 2.1.5.
Ubuntu 10.04, plenty of disk space for profile and storage dirs.

Ben
  • I discovered how to get a report ID, so here it is:
  • If you're able to provide a Report ID, then I assume you're no longer getting a database upgrade error?
  • Yep, still getting it.
    I got the report ID by going through the Firefox menus:
    Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > Zotero (preferences)

Ben.
  • How, exactly? The error reporting wizard is generally available only via the gear menu inside the Zotero pane.
  • In any case, if you're still getting the startup error, generate debug output for the startup and send it to support@zot....org with a link to this thread.
  • Sorry! You're right, it wasn't via the menus.

I opened Zotero via the Firefox menus:
    Tools > Zotero

then clicked the sync icon. It twirled for a bit and then displayed an error icon next to it. I clicked the error icon to get the Error dialogue (the error displayed there is 'Transaction in progress in Zotero.Sync.Server._checkSyncUser'). I clicked the button labelled 'Report error'.

Forgive me, I am doing many things at once.
    Ben.
  • Hmm, it's letting you open Zotero (in tab mode, I assume) even though there's an exclamation mark over the icon? That's not right.
  • Re: the debug output you sent, we need the startup output. If Debug Output Logging is actually still working for you, you can try the "Enabled after restart" option. Otherwise, see my link for how to generate real-time debug output.
  • Apologies again, sent again with startup output.
    Ben.
  • OK, now there's a legitimate error:
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630002 [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80630002 ()" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 143" data: no] [QUERY: DELETE FROM itemTypesCombined] [ERROR: disk I/O error]
    Unfortunately, "disk I/O error" doesn't tell us much. Is this on your local drive (not a network share, symlinked to another drive, etc.)? If you have any security software, try disabling it. (Are you using disk encryption?) If there's a journal file in your Zotero data directory with Firefox closed, move it somewhere else and try again. Check the permissions on all the files in your data directory (though that should be a different error). And check your disk for actual errors.
  • Hi, thanks for the help! I've only just been able to do this (move the journal file) - and I'm happy to report that it fixed the problem :)

Before I moved it I noticed that there was a permissions problem with it. It had become owned by root somehow, and only writeable by root. I have no idea how this happened! I certainly didn't fiddle with permissions at any time. Perhaps an upgrade, or an unclean shutdown of firefox?

thanks again for the help (and patience) Dan.
    Ben.