Problems adding to a childnote when I scroll a pdf in the main window

Everytime I scroll through a pdf or make a selection in it, the childnote window freezes and I have to close Zotero and re-open it in order to be able to continue note-taking. Is there something I should know about?
  • What program are you using to look at and annotate PDFs? Is it a Firefox plugin?
  • I just open them in Firefox 3.6.16 and then open Zotero. I have not had this problem until recently.
  • Firefox doesn't open PDFs natively. What plugin do you use to read the PDFs? Adobe Acrobat? Something else?
  • Oh yes! I use Acrobat X
  • Please try to submit an error report and post the report ID here (http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs).
  • Sorry, but I've read the page on reporting bugs, but can't seem to find where to actually do it.
  • Ok, I found the Error Reporting. It had a javascript error related to syncing which was resolved by clicking the sync button. But the original error still remains. Now 'Report Errors' is greyed out.

What do I do now? I appreciate your help.
  • When Zotero freezes, is it possible to wait and it will clear itself up if given time (maybe lots of time)?

If Zotero is not visible (panel closed, no notes open) and you open a PDF in Firefox, does the Firefox user interface (menus, etc) still work fine when you scroll through the PDF?

Are you using the latest version of Zotero (2.1.5)?

And please try disabling all your non-Zotero Firefox add-ons.
  • Question 1: Yes, I waited 5 minutes and it came back.

Question 2: Yes, neither scrolling nor selecting causes a problem when Zotero is closed. I have also found that the problem does not arise if I use 'Edit in a separate window.' (I prefer not to use this as it gets in the way of the text I am working on.) I think now it is not the scrolling that causes the problem, but selecting text, copying it and trying to paste it into the childnote pane. It does not happen the first time I do that, only when I do it the second time.

Question 3: Yes, I am completely up to date with Firefox, Acrobat, and Zotero

Question 4: Disabling the add-ons did not help
  • Core developers: Any ideas? I'm out of troubleshooting ideas...
  • edited April 5, 2011
    ajlyon,

Thank you very much for your time and attention to the problem.

I would be glad if the core developers took it up.
  • No idea, really, but I doubt there's anything we can do about it.

Try pasting into Notepad and copying from there to the Zotero note.