Large Zotero Folder - purging old stuff?

My Zotero folder in my Firefox profile is very large -- 33,000 + files and 1.3 GB + of data. It seems odd to me, since all of my articles are stored separately and are only kept as links within my Zotero library.

I recall there used to be options to "purge" various things, like orphaned files. Do these still exist? Is it possible to get Zotero to do some house-cleaning?

I'm thinking of upgrading to Firefox 4.0, and thought I might try to get Zotero all cleaned up on the way there. Was in fact thinking of deleting my Zotero file and starting fresh with a download from the server... Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • By files, do you mean files within the 'storage' directory? Those would be files from HTML snapshots.

And by data, do you mean the whole 'zotero' directory, or the zotero.sqlite file itself?
  • edited March 31, 2011
    Sorry, what I observe is that when I navigate to my profile in Mozilla (user/app data/roaming/mozilla/firefox/zotero), that "zotero" folder is quite large. I think you are right that it must be files from HTML snapshots, although I'm surprised there are quite so many, or that they take up quite so much room... I wondered if perhaps I am carrying around a lot of extra baggage in there that could be gotten rid of.

Thanks.
  • You can delete miscellaneous ad files, but there's no way to do so through Zotero, and disk space is cheap. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Yes-- the file count and overall size aren't that surprising. If you don't already, see about installing Adblock Plus-- it will (among other things) reduce the number of files that Zotero saves and avoid many (but not all) of the ad files on new snapshots.