Apostrophe in author's name turns into \uc0\u8217{}t

I'm using Zotero 2.1.1 and Word plugin 3.1b1, and the name of the author Roel in 't Veld ("Roel" is the first name; "in 't" a non-dropping particle) renders as Veld, R. in \uc0\u8217{}t. The same problem occurs in OpenOffice, but not when I create a bibliography in Zotero itself.

I've cited this author before, so I know it wasn't an issue in earlier versions. I've noticed that although I've entered the apostrophe as a straight quote (') into my library, Zotero makes it into a fancier curly one (’) when I create a bibliography in Zotero -- and an unsightly mess (\uc0\u8217{}t) when I create a bibliography in Word or OpenOffice. In contrast, a name like O'Leary works just fine.

And on a related note: what is the correct way to enter dropping and non-dropping name particles in Zotero's author field? I've often seen http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html cited in forum posts, but that refers to the citation style; how do I correctly mark particles (dropping or non-dropping) in my library?
  • Install Zotero 2.1.2 (out today), which fixes the problem with corruption of some quote characters.

Non-dropping particles should be placed before the last name in the lastName field. Dropping particles should be placed after the given name in the givenName field. Both should be lowercase; with two-field entry, the processor needs that hint to identify them as particles.
  • edited March 31, 2011
    Thank you very much for your incredibly fast response!

I installed the latest version of Zotero, but unfortunately the same problem persists.

And now there's another problem (I'm not sure if this also occurred in 2.1.1): in the bibliography, in 't Veld is now sorted right at the start, even before the authors beginning with A, when it should be sorted with V. I put a couple of citations in a document to generate this bibliography:

in \uc0\u8217{}t Veld, Roel. 1998. Process management. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
    Allen, G. 2003. The Last Prime Minister: being honest about the UK presidency. Imprint Academic.
    de Bruijn, J. 2002. Managing performance in the public sector. London: Routledge.
    van Delden, P. J. 2009. “Samenwerking in de publieke dienstverlening.”
    Johnston, Erik. 2010. “Governance Infrastructures in 2020.” Public Administration Review 70: s122-s128.
    Wright, Bradley E. 2010. “Public Administration in 2020: Balancing Values as a Journey, Not a Destination.” Public Administration Review 70: s312-s313.

Note how other names with particles (de Bruijn and van Delden) are sorted correctly (with B and D respectively). In 't Veld should sort with V, but even if Zotero wouldn't understand that in 't was a particle, then surely it would be sorted on i, so between Delden and Johnston?

PS: When I change the name in my library to sport a curly ’ instead of the straight ', the problem with \uc0\u8217{} is solved, but not the sorting issue.
  • That corrupt string is probably confusing the sort. Once we get that under control, we can tune in some stop-characters if the sort ordering is still incorrect.

I'm able to reproduce the issue here. It apparently doesn't like the apostrophe as leading punctuation on a word. I'll take a closer look, and make any adjustments to the processor that are needed. You should see the results in a few days.
  • Using the preview pane (chrome://zotero/content/tools/cslpreview.xul), I get:
    Darnton, Robert. 2010. Can We Create a National Digital Library? by Robert Darnton | The New York Review of Books. The New York Review of Books, октябрь 28. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/oct/28/can-we-create-national-digital-library/.
    ’t Lyon, Avram in, и JR Young. 2005. George Mason U. Team Works on Browser That Will Aid Scholarly Research. The Chronicle of Higher Education, декабрь 16, Volume 52, Issue 17 издание, разд. Technology : Information Technology.
    Young, J. 2006. Firefox Scholar Released (Now Called Zotero). The Chronicle of Higher Education. Wired Campus. октябрь 31. http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/firefox-scholar-released-now-called-zotero/2648.
    Looks like we haven't taken into account the possibility of particles with internal spaces... But sorting is working for me, it seems.

As for how to define particles-- we may eventually need a little advanced-name-entry popup some day, since there is no good way to unambiguous declare all this using Zotero's two fields.
  • edited March 31, 2011
    @ajlyon -- Actually, I get this in the preview pane:

’t Hart, P. Groupthink in government: A study of small groups and policy failure. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994.
    in ’t Veld, Roel. Process management. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998.
    van den Bempt, P. “The Impact of Economic and Monetary Union on Member States’ Fiscal Policies.” In Economic and Monetary Union: Implication for National Policy-Makers, 281. Maastricht: European Institute of Public Administration, 1993.
    van Delden, P. J. Samenwerking in de publieke dienstverlening: ontwikkelingsverloop en resultaten. Eburon Uitgeverij BV, 2009.
    So both 't Hart (no space in the particle) and in 't Veld show the same sorting issue, whereas van den Bempt (particle with space) and van Delden render fine.

But as said in my initial post, there's no issue with the apostrophes converting to \uc0\u8217{}t when I generate a bibliography in Zotero, whether that's to the clipboard, as html or in the preview pane/
  • I'm going to let fbennett handle this, since he knows this stuff better than anyone else here. No question that this needs some attention-- we'll get it sorted out soon enough.
  • edited March 31, 2011
    I was mistaken about the browser masking the corruption; in HTML mode, quote marks don't get escaped at all, so there is no issue to begin with there. RTF is the trouble zone for text escaping.

In other news, I think I have some stuff in place to improve sorting behavior. I'm getting this result from a quick test:

Deldt, Ricardo. Bookless, 2000.
    Geldt, Ricardo. Bookless, 2000.
    ’t Valdt, Ricardo. Bookless, 2000.
    in ’t Veldt, Ricardo. Bookless, 2000.
    which looks about right.

There is one constraint to the solution, which I hope will not be too much of a burden. You need to use the fancy U+2019 character (a proper apostrophe) rather than a straight single quote for the leading apostrophe in names of this kind, to avoid producing an extra space before that character. This has to do with some twisted logic used to distinguish straight quotes that are apostrophes from those that are closing quotes, so that phrases like "Reflections on 'Steve's circle' in 1952" come out correctly.

This should appear in the next Zotero release.
  • This should appear in the next Zotero release.
    Brilliant! Thank you very much!