Update to 2.0, Update document, style no longer works correctly (italics)

I've recently upgraded to Firefox 4 and Zotero 2.1.1 (using Word 2007)

My references in APA v6 format no longer show with titles in italics (journal names, book names, etc.)

After my software updating, I began working on an existing document and when inserting new references, it gave a warning that I had to update the document. However, the insertion was still giving errors. I determined it had something to do with the custom format that I've been using for a year or so (APA v6). I switched over to the Zotero-provided format, and there are still no italics to be found in my new references page.

In a new document, the references print correctly. But in my existing document, the italics don't appear.

It seems to be a problem with the upgrade of the document, not with the style csl file.

Any suggestions on how to repair a document in light of the 2.0 upgrade?
  • Now even the new, fresh document is not working correctly. The italics are missing from the references that I inserted at the end.
  • Wait for 2.1.2 to come out, and see whether installing that clears up the issue.
  • actually, I think 2.1.2 might already be out - check for updates to you add-ons.
  • OK. Will do. Thanks for your response.
  • OK. I updated to 2.1.2 and re-installed the Word integration add-on just in case. But the reference list still comes out without any italics.

As I created this new, fresh document, I inserted up to 4 or 5 citations and the reference list worked well. Once I added more, it stopped working. I don't know yet if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks for any insight or fixes you can offer.
  • We'll need more precise information than this. It stopped working how? Can you be more specific?
  • Glad to.

Running: Firefox 4.0, Zotero 2.1.2, Word 2007

1. I opened a new Word document and in the first paragraph, I inserted one citation.
    2. I created a section page break to create a Reference page. There, I inserted a Zotero bibliography (APA v6 style), and the journal article reference appeared correct (Italics in the journal name and the volume number).
    3. In the next three to four paragraphs, I inserted another three or four citations, and I checked the bibliography. Each one was created correctly and formatted correctly.
    4. After I inserted another three or four citations, I checked the bibliography again. At some point after reaching 8 or 10 citations, the Zotero bibliography stopped formatting the references correctly: nothing was italicized. All references were in plain text.

Other than that, Zotero seems to be working normally.

I had this problem too with an existing document created with Firefox 3.X, Zotero 1.X. I thought the italics problem was related to the update, but the creation of this new document with the new software configuration confirmed that something else was going on.

Thanks!
  • I think I've spotted a bug in the processor that could be causing this. I'll issue a release containing the fix, which will be picked up by Zotero. You can try it out as soon as the revised processor has been merged into the branch XPI (probably within a day or two).
  • Another bug, that seems to be related (perhaps).

In this same document, I've continued inserting citations (and checking the growing bibliography).

In attempting to refresh all Zotero fields in the document, I got an error that Zotero was unable to update the document.

Steps:
    1. I inserted a multiple reference field: two citations together. When I checked the bibliography, I saw that Zotero automatically inserted the word "the" as in "Presented at the ____________" for a conference presentation.
    2. I edited the Zotero item to remove the "the" that was not necessary.
    3. I clicked the "Bibliographic Management: Zotero Refresh" button in my Word 2007 Add In.
    4. I received the error message that Zotero Was Unable to Update Your Document.

(This was the same message I originally got after updated to Firefox 4 and Zotero 2.1.1, while working in a document created previously)

(The italics are still not working properly, but I'm waiting for the processor fix you mentioned above)
  • I've fixed a bug in the processor that might be relevant to this, in response to a report ("sep is undefined") in another thread. If that is in the error message that you are receiving, it might be the cause here as well. In any case, the steps you describe do not trigger an error with the updated processor. I'll be releasing the code shortly, and it will find its way into the next Zotero release (2.1.4).
  • Thanks again. The response from Zotero programmers is admirable. Keep up the good work, and I'll look forward to more updates to address these little bugs.
  • I am having the same problem: Zotero no longer shows Italics in the references, but just plain text. This happens both in old and new documents. I use Word 2007 and I have just re-downloaded the latest Mozilla, Zotero and Zotero plug-ins. Still nothing. Have you managed to fix the relevant bug in the processor?
  • The bugs discussed in this thread were fixed several versions ago, and as far as I know this is all working just fine.

A few requests:
    • Double-check that you have Zotero 2.1.6 installed
    • Tell us which style are you using in your trials
    • Try previewing the style in chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
    • If csledit.xul also does not show italics where they should be, paste a copy of the style to http://gist.github.com/, save it as a public gist, and post the URL from the address bar back here, so that I can run a trial here with exactly the same style code.
  • Hello,

- I do have Zotero 2.1.6
    - The style that I am using is Harvard (Author-Date) European Archaeology (dev), but I have tried also Harvard - adapted for Leeds Met (dev) and a couple of others, but the Italics never show up.
    - csledit.xul shows italics where they should be, but not yet on my document.
    - I have tried again to start a new word document: at the beiginning it sows the italics, but after a few modifications the italic is gone.
  • P.S.: I have just noticed that if in 'Format Using:' I click 'Bookmarks' rather than 'Fields' the Italics comes back. But as I want to use just Word 2007 for this document, I'd like to use the 'Fields' option, as it is less likely to be accidentally modified. Moreovoer, when I select 'Bookmarks' the space between a reference line and the next becomes automatically zero, whatever the style I am using.
  • edited May 5, 2011
    I'm unable to make it fail on my system (Ubuntu 10.x, OO 3.2, Zotero 2.1.6), but it's early to conclude that the problem is specific to Word. A few more questions:
    • When you say, "after a few edits", what kind of editing do you refer to? Inserting new citations, changing citations, or editing citations via the "Shoe Editor" window? (any specifics you can offer may be helpful in reproducing the error)
    • What locale are you running Zotero in?
    • Do you have any citations that contain apostrophes or quotation marks inside a field? (the handling of these varies according to locale, and uses the same function that handles italics, so this might be relevant)
    • Is there a specific citation that causes the failure when it is inserted?
  • edited May 5, 2011
    (Re your latest, above)

Ah, that's very useful to know. This may be an issue with the plugin, then. I'll move aside and let Dan or Simon carry on, after the US wakes up in the morning.
  • Thanks,

Anyway, to answer your other questions:
    - When I say after a few edits I mean after inserting 6-7 citations and clicking 'Zotero Refresh'
    -My current locale is: English (Ireland)
    - Yes there is an apostrophe, but it happens even in docs where I do not use references containing apostrophe.
    -No, it does not seem so.
  • Any progress with this problem?
    I would like to let you know that Italics shows up fine when I use OpenOffice, so the issue is limited to Word. Could this confirm that it is a plugin issue? I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Word plugin, but unfortunately the Italics does not want to come back (yet).
  • I'm having this same problem. I'm using Zotero (version 2.1.6) on my Mac with Mac Word 2011 (MacWord Plugin version 3.1.2). I didn't have any problems with this a month or two ago and then the other day when I went to generate a bibliography for the first time in a little while, none of my titles were italicized. I'm using a modified version of the Society of Biblical Literature style, and it works just fine in the Zotero Reference Test pane, even with a large number of references.

Have any of you figured out yet what is causing this problem or how to work around it?
  • edited May 26, 2011
    You may find that this has been fixed in the latest citation processor release. If you want to try it out in advance of the next release, the new processor is included in the Zotero branch XPI. Be sure to back up your data (as always) before installing new software, especially prerelease versions. If you install the branch XPI, you'll want to manually install version 2.1.7 when it becomes avaiiable, to avoid receiving development updates after the release.
  • I purchased a new computer, and installed an updated version of Zotero. I'm using the Turabian style guide.

When I attempt to make corrections on previous chapters, I get the "sep is undefined" message. What do I need to do to fix this?
  • edited October 26, 2011
    We haven't seen this error in a very long time. If you are using the Turabian style from the repository, can you isolate the item that is causing the fault? If so, please export it as Zotero RDF, paste the RDF to http://gist.github.com/, save it as a public gist, and post the URL from the address bar back here. If you are using a modified version of Turabian, please make a gist of the style code so we can take a look.

(Edit: also, this is a separate issue from the headline item in this thread, so please start a new one.)